cockpit access hatch

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tim S.
Bottom Sanding Grunt

cockpit access hatch

Post by Tim S. »

I have an Alberg 30 and am thinking of adding an access hatch in the cockpit sole. My main concerns are structual solidity and good traction. Any advice or suggestions?

Tim S.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Access hatches make all the difference for reaching your transmission, coupling, and stuffing box, as well as whatever else is down there.

I can highly recommend these aluminum hatches by Bomar. Expensive, and worth it. Don't mess around with the plastic junk. This is the size I have, but there are other sizes and shapes as well.

In addition to being truly watertight, these hatches are also strong enough to support themselves in the large cutout. There's always the possibility that you might need or want to add some transverse stiffeners around the opening, but the aluminum hatch, when installed, will stiffen a deck that seemed flimsy after the hole was cut.

They do get hot in the sun, though. Fair warning! They also make a white-painted version that might be just the ticket. Or paint it yourself, as long as you prepare the aluminum properly.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

I put in the "plastic junk" because my pockets aren't as deep as Tim's. ;-) and I doubt I will ever be taking the boat off shore. Mine is 11"x17" and I love the access it gives to the back of the A4 because that is where all the things are that need to be serviced / drained / turned, etc. It is a simple improvement that makes a huge difference.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

I put one of the cast aluminum Bomar access hatches in the cockpit of my A30 the first year I had the boat. This enabled me to gain access to the rear of the engine, the stuffing box, transmission fluid, rear engine mounts, heat exchanger zinc, etc. I didn't notice any problems with strength, and I'd do it again without hesitation.
John
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I don't have anything to add about the hatches, but I just wanted to say "Welcome to the forum!" to you, Tim S. :-)

--- Rachel
Mike E
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Have one made....you get a better hatch that way

Post by Mike E »

I wanted a larger hatch than is available from the usual sources. Dan and Justin at Port Townsend Rigging in Port Townsend WA made one up for me out out of some high strength aluminum stock including a permanent frame and the fasteners and seals. When open I can reach the engine, transmission and shaft plus get to the aft shaft fitting. You might ask them for a photo and give them LxW dimensions of your cockpit sole if you want a quote or find a fabricator in your local area. Oh and the old smaller hatch was a toe stubber without the grating in place. Now I don't really need the grating.

Michael
SV Se Langt
Michael
SV Se Langt
Westerly Berwick 31