Bronze Rubstrake for teak coaming

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Bronze Rubstrake for teak coaming

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Does anyone know where I could get a bronze rubstrake for the top of my teak coamings. A short 6 inch section would be all that is needed for each side. My typhoon has a cleat for the jib attached to the coaming and that makes it so a hard day's sail wears through the varnish. Plus it would give me one more thing to obsessively polish each week. Thanks. Tim

Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Brass half-oval from Jamestown

In this application, brass is as good as bronze. I used some of this on a canoe I built forever ago. It works very easily.

I've been toying with the idea of a brass strip atop the whole length of my new coamings, I'm just not sure of how I could terminate the forward end with any elegance.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I have 9 inches of the brass half oval left over from another project and I am just down the road from you. That's 4.5 inches each?... I got it from Hamilton Marine.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'm not aware of any vendors selling bronze half-oval or other similar trim stock. Brass is the only material available (other than stainless), but it's completely adequate in these applications. Use the brass without qualm.

Both Hamilton and Jamestown offer a variety of sizes and types. You're sure to find just what you need.
Figment wrote:I've been toying with the idea of a brass strip atop the whole length of my new coamings, I'm just not sure of how I could terminate the forward end with any elegance.
If you buy the solid (flat back) brass half oval, what about just grinding/polishing the end into a pleasing profile to match the overall shape? Does it need more than that? Or you could miter the end and return a short piece across the coaming block into the cabin trunk.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:I've been toying with the idea of a brass strip atop the whole length of my new coamings, I'm just not sure of how I could terminate the forward end with any elegance.
That idea has MUCH merit. I may "borrow" it!
Figment

Post by Figment »

Well it's not MY idea, and really not a new idea. I've seen it on a lot of well-fitted classics. Mostly Concordias, I think.

The one thing that gives me pause is the notion that this metal strip might get really hot in the sun and tattoo a series of lines across my back.
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

bcooke wrote:I have 9 inches of the brass half oval left over from another project and I am just down the road from you.
I keep my boat in Newburyport during the summer, but live out in the Berkshires (funny where you end up.) I should be out that way again sometime during the week of the 24th visiting my folks. I would be interested in taking the extra half oval you have off your hands, just let me know how much you would like for it. Also, I have been toying with the idea of moving up in boat size within the next year or so. My wife, kid, and I want to start doing some real cruising. We've shot down to Essex and have done the Isles, but what a marathon run of discomfort in my little Ty. My three year old enjoys the headroom down below, but adults need yoga experience just to take a leak. We are definitely limited to one night right now. I am considering a Triton for many reasons, one of which is that they are very affordable. Would you be willing to give me a 25 cent tour of yours that week so that I can get a good look at the design. I would like to stay with Cape Dory, but those are a little out of reach for me right now. Let me know. Tim
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

hehe, sure, but I don't think my Triton is a very good example at the moment (it is gutted). The half oval section is free. Drop me a note when you are nearby.

-Britton
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

bcooke wrote: Drop me a note when you are nearby.
Will do. Thanks. Tim

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Nice pictures, Tim! I sure wish everyone would include a photo with each of their posts!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment

Post by Figment »

Yes, you certainly do transcend this whole "avatar" thing!
Tim Mertinooke

misconstrued

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Figment wrote:Yes, you certainly do transcend this whole "avatar" thing!

I know you guys are suckers for a sweet Alberg design plying salt water so they are my gift to you. The photo below is one of my personal favorites. My wife's response when I showed it to her after development was, "Nice tiller." Tim

cliffg
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Wife's Sense of Humor

Post by cliffg »

I like our wife's sense of humor. OH, maybe she really meant "nice tiller".