Water Pump Question

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Water Pump Question

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I had a small drip from what I thought was a hose on the raw water pump (Westerbeke 44AFOUR) on the , 2001 Beneteau 381 we recently bought. Actually there is another story here too which Tim knows about but I'll need to hold than one for a whilke until some things get sorted out, then I will share. Anyway I tightened the clamps and replaced one of the hoses but there was still a drip, so with the help of my handy dandy mini mirror I looked under and behind the pump and found it was coming from the shaft in the raw water pump.

As it is lay up season and the boat is out of the water I took the pump off today (4 bolts and two hoses). I already had the impeller out as I take this out every year so it doesn't get mis-shapen.

I am trying to figure out 2 things :

1. Is this likely to be a Westerbeke part or a stock Johnson pump or something - I can find no part # stamped anywhere on the thing? It's going to take some cleaning up to find a part number on it.

2. On the "back" where it bolts into the engine there is a kind of fibrous, oily sludge - as if something has been churned up and ground into tiny bits with the oil - it's not metallic or anything. I wonder if there is some form of rubber seal in here that's got ground up or at least a little frayed and the pieces got carried into the oil causing this goo (you can see it in the second photo) and also the drip ?

Anyone any experience with these or point me to a schematic, a web site or anything ?

Also I read online about a rebuild kit and also sometimes about the rebuild kit not being needed and all that is needed is a shaft seal - any insight ?

Much obliged.

Mark
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

I believe the westerbeke part number for that pump is 033636.

Heres the replacement pump from Torresen to replace that particular westerbeke part number.
Link

Not sure about a rebuild kit... Sometimes its easier (although more $$$, 454.30 to be exact) to just replace the pump altogether.

That one should still be servicable though as its only what... 5 or 6 years old?
Zachary
Adams, MA
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Failure of pump shaft seals is a common occurrence, and is generally considered a regular maintenance item. Often, these leaks go neglected and untouched, and the dripping saltwater turns other parts of the engine into green, corroded messes that in turn cause significant damage to other parts.

I am sure you can find the shaft seal as a solo part. I think it's 33043 ($4.62) I'd try that before buying the full repair kit, since the shaft seal is the most likely culprit here. You probably need some other gaskets too, though, before you can reinstall your pump, so be sure to pick up those too.

Replacement part 34466 is supposedly a repair kit for your pump. It appears to contain an impeller, gaskets, seals, and a new shaft, for $142.67. Balance this cost against the need for, and cost of, the individual parts contained.

This link takes you to a parts diagram of your raw water pump.

[url=http://www.marinedieseldirect.com[/url]Marine Diesel Direct[/url], where all this information is coming from, is perhaps your best online source for information and, quite possibly, purchase of parts for your engine. You'll find a wealth of information there, including these parts diagrams.

However, I think it's very much worthwhile to have your own copy of the parts manual, #47631. Parts manuals are probably more valuable than service manuals for the typical boatowner. Buy it.

From the green tint of the fittings on that pump, I'd say that the small leak existed for some time--at least most of a season. Frankly, the whole pump looks to be much more beat up than I would expect after only 5 years' use, but I've seen too many nearly-new engines and engine parts that looked ancient to be that naive. Sometimes, that's just how things look.

Your pump is gear driven, and a damaged shaft seal would also allow oil from the engine to work its way in, helping to create the oily sludge you are seeing on the back of the housing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Thanks guys - quality responses as usual

I think I am going to order the service manual and a rebuild kit. If I can find a new pump at less than the boat price of $450 I may also buy a second pump as a spare - they take minutes to swap out.

Note I had thought about putting a speed seal on the pump but given the awesome access right out in front of the engine I don't think I am going to bother, instread I think I will repalce the cover screws with allen head set screw of appropriate size
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

The local supplier (Hansen Marine) beats Torrensens online prices so I am going to buy the rebuild kit and a brand new pump (slightly different model) from them. I'll also get some globe impellers for the new pump and then rebuild the old pump with the rebuild kit and keep it on board as a spare.

Interestingly this site link has the near identical problem to mine and his photos could easily be mistaken for mine (except they are in focus). His problem also describes mine with the water dripping from between the "water side seal" and the space where the shaft turns. The new pump comes with an o ring versus a gasket which is of course a plus.

Note the 3A engine in that article has awful access to the pump - mine is up front and easy to access - also the elbows he mentions are standard 90 degree elbows, so that's no great bother either.

Mark