Toplac and other one part paints

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Toplac and other one part paints

Post by bhartley »

Tim makes Awlgrip look soooo good and I would love to have my little Ty be equally beautiful, but I need to also be realistic. I paid $800 for the boat and the trailer and she will be used for 1 month each year in salt water.

If I use Toplac or Brightsides (I can't really figure out what the real difference is besides price) am I going to be happy? I am a good painter, but I will be doing it alone. The boat is totally stripped right now with no hardware or teak. Happy requires a finish that looks good today and in 3-5 years. My concern is primarily with durability.

Thanks in advance for sharing any advice or experience.

Bly
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

None of the one part paints will hold up as well over time, but they look great when first applied. The gloss begins to lessen during the first year, and the overall condition of the paint will continue to degrade beyond that, but the overall finish will still look quite good for several years, as long as you can live with the gloss reduction.

Other than this, the durability of the one part paints is very good. They just don't look as good for nearly as long as premium paints like Awlgrip, and their ultlimate coating lifespan is shorter as well.

I've not used Toplac, but I've heard pretty good things. Brightsides has its issues, but looks good if applied properly. YOu might also look at the Epifanes family of topside paints too.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Post by Challenger949L »

Could one extend the shine of a one part with the application of wax?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yes, you could. However, that wax will need to be carefully (and completely) removed when the time comes to repaint.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I used Brightsides when I painted my boat. My reasoning was primarily that it would be easier and also that, since I would be painting in the hot August weather, the Awlgrip mix ratios would be tough to maintain. While it hasn't been that long, I am pleased with the Brightsides. That said, if I had to do it over I think I would go with the Awlgrip as absolutely nothing matches it - in my opinion - in terms of looks and durability. Once you buy all of the solvents for a single part, for thinning and surface prep, the additional cost of a good 2 part is almost insignificant.

One plus to a single part though that came in handy for me, is that it is much easier to blend repairs.

Although photos don't really capture any detail, here's a shot of when I first applied the paint:

- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com