Marking the boot top stripe

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Marking the boot top stripe

Post by dmairspotter »

I am sure this has been covered before but here is the question anyway. I'm contemplating painting the hull on my boat this spring. Right now, the boot top is right where I want it but it will be sanded off along with everything else if I do the job. As far as I can see, there are no scribemarks on the hull showing the boundaries of the stripe.

What's the best way to mark the position of the existing stripe so I can recreate it on the new paint job?
Matt B.
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Firefly
Boat Type: Islander 28

Re: Marking the boot top stripe

Post by Matt B. »

dmairspotter wrote: What's the best way to mark the position of the existing stripe so I can recreate it on the new paint job?
I'd be inclined to just measure, fore and aft, where the top and bottom of the bootstripe are compared to some fixed point - the hull/deck joint, the rub rail, the toe rail, whatever. Could be any reference point that you know won't move from the time you measure until you paint in the bootstripe.

The rest is just as Tim has described it elsewhere - make sure the boat is level, scribe in the top and bottom lines so that they're level relative to the ground (it won't be a fixed-width line), and paint it in.
Matt Beland
Islander 28 #256, SV Firefly
matt@rearviewmirror.org
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I'm about to stare down this barrel myself. My plan is to cut the line into the hull with a very fine handsaw. I have a beat-up old japanese handsaw (no longer suitable for fine woodwork) that'll be perfect for the job.

Belt and suspenders: because I'm not confident that this cut scribe will survivie the sanding and fairing, I plan to record the line on a tick-strip made of a piece of nylon webstrap and a fine-point sharpie. Oldschool new england carpenters will relate this to a "storyboard".
At regular intervals (2' or so) along the length of the hull, I'll record the distance from the line to the toerail on the strap.
I'll probably want more than one strap to record multiple lines.

After the dust settles, I can use the tickstrip to inform locations where the cut scribe has been sanded or faired away.
kendall
Master Varnisher

story board works great

Post by kendall »

I use story boards for about averything, I am a carpenter, and for marking a boot stripe I don't think they can be beat, providing boat and surface are level!

If you don't have the boat plumb, make a few references on the boat, then borrow a laser level, the type that produces a line and with a head that can be locked (or one of the cheapie manual plumb types) then just adjust the laser level so the line crosses all the points, line will be straight as long as it crosses all marked points, HF carries a very cheap one, and black and decker also makes a cheap one that is surprisingly good.

ken.