Wet cockpit

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Wet cockpit

Post by Figment »

As great as it felt to be floating, it feels even better to be floating and MOVING under our own power. A couple of things I've noticed while tooling up and down the river......

When reversing above idle, I get a nice little geyser of water up from the portside cockpit drain. During my "let's see how she does" crash-stop, this geyser was above the bridgedeck.

With the helm hard over, or occasionally when motoring at speed, I get a slosh of water out of the rudder head.

Anything I should be concerned about?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Not sure what to say about your geyser, Mike, but as far as a little water from around the rudder post, join the club. I have it too, but only when motoring at full cruising RPM. You could try packing it with something, but there's not nut to tighten, so I'm not sure it would make much difference. I just live with it, since I don't motor that often, in the grand scheme of things.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Abandon Ship! She's going down!

Seriously, certainly the rudder post leak is pretty standard fare. In fact, Glissando, so far, is the only Triton I've been on that does not leak through the rudderpost. (I'm happy about this, BTW).

There's no reason that a "normal" type stuffing box wouldn't work on the rudderpost. However, this would require some reconfiguration of the area in order to make it fit--there's not enough room for this setup as is. It would've been nice if the boat had been designed with a cockpit well that was, say, 3" shallower. This would eliminate most of the watering problems that are experienced, and would also have given that extra clearance beneath for better access for scupper seacocks, fuel tanks, etc.

The geyser through the scupper must've been interesting when it happened! All I can think is that your prop managed to throw enough water forward to force it into the nearby scupper openings. Sounds like a weird trick of hydrodynamics and water pressure, that's all.

I'd hate to think that you'll need foulies every time you shift into reverse, though!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Actually, I didn't notice the geyser during the crash-stop, Julia did. I guess I was too busy studying the degree of propwalk.

However, her reaction was amusing enough to make me do it a second time over her protests :)