Chesapeake Light Craft

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
D. Fox

Chesapeake Light Craft

Post by D. Fox »

Anyone have any experience or opinions with or about these kits? I'm thinking about doing either a Skerry or an Annapolis Wherry later this summer. Would primarily use it on the James River. They're pretty boats, and most everything I've read has been very positive, but am looking for more inputs. Thanks,

Dan

see www.clcboats.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

well, since no one's chimed in with any direct experience....

I love CLC. I'm a certified addict of their "shop cam". I got into them a few years ago when I was building my canoe-thingy. Cedarstrip, not S&G, but small boats is small boats, right? Plus, I briefly had a harebrained notion of adapting their SailRig to my canoe.

Like you, I've never heard anything but positive comments on the company's service or quality. WoodenBoat did a writeup of the "lapstitch" building method in the last issue, which highlighted some pretty strong attributes of this method when geared toward kit-built boats.

In my entirely subjective opinion, I favor the Wherry over the Skerry, unless you're really intent on the sailing option. The frames and knees in the skerry are made from the same thin plywood as the rest of the boat. This makes for a lightweight craft, to be sure, but to me it just doesn't LOOK right..... Same for those broad, curvy-cut thwarts. The finished boat looks a little too much like a scaled-up cardboard model. fit flap "A" into slot "B", ya know? The Skerry is basically a lapstitch redux of the venerable Maine Peapod, and (again, my opinion) there are better S&G peapod redesigns out there. The Wherry seems a more harmonious application of the CNC plywood technology.

For all that, these kits are not inexpensive. One thing that CLC does very well is public outreach. They're constantly touring around with their trailer full of boats, hosting trial days here and there. Before I laid that kind of cash on the barrel, I'd get myself to one of these events and go for a row. Hell, I plan to go for a row at the next local event anyway!
D. Fox

CLC

Post by D. Fox »

Thanks very much for the reply and insights. I've come around to share your viewpoints on the wherry v. skerry. The wherry is more singlemindedly, purpose-built as a pulling boat and excels at that. I can satisfy my sailing urges with the B27.

I understand what you mean about checking them out before buying...they had scheduled a demo day where I live (Williamsburg, VA) for this weekend but then cancelled. Annapolis is only a couple hours away so I can take a Saturday trip before taking the plunge. They are pricey, as you say, especially when you add in decent oars and a sliding seat (if I go that route, for the wherry).

Thanks again,

Dan