Mast step

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Mast step

Post by Figment »

The discussion of mast beams and posts in the Boatbuilding Techniques catetgory got me wandering through the Glissando restoration site...

Tim, your mast step is epoxied plywood?? Is that typical?

Mine's cast aluminum, and was corroded enough to lead me to assume that it was original to the boat.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

As with so many things Triton, what was original on one boat may very well be different than that which was original on another. Who knows why one thing or another was changed during the production run, but many things were indeed changed. This is not unusual, of course.

While there are no hard and fast rules to point to indicate when the changes occured, it seems that many of the earlier Tritons featured the aluminum mast step. #100 has the aluminum step. I think #30 has the aluminum step. #41 Kialoa has the aluminum step. Looking through some pictures I have of other boats, #111 E Ho II also has an aluminum step.

My mast step is also original. It's the Tufnol composition stuff, the same as was used on the blocks and sheaves elsewhere on the boat--the step is basically several layers laminated together for the proper thickness. I filled and sealed it with epoxy and painted it. Eventually, I will build a new one. That's the sort of project I'll do when the boat is comfortably stored in my new barn for the whole winter.

Many others have the Tufnol step like my own, and others still have something that has been installed at some point over the years.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating