Taped rigging or no?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Taped rigging or no?

Post by Figment »

I managed to assemble the mast on saturday. Reassembling that which was disassembled by others was an interesting exercise.

As a matter of habit, I wrapped all connections that invoved a cotter pin or ringding in rigging tape.

Later on, looking at other boats on the river, I noticed that not many others seem to be doing this.

What don't I know?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

By overtaping these areas, you run the risk of encouraging trapped moisture, dirt, and salt, possibly leading to crevice corrosion and other problems.

If you use cotter pins, you usually need tape to protect the sails from the sharp ends. Use as little as possible, and use it only where such contact will be a problem. With higher-clewed and/or non-overlapping jibs, contact with the turnbuckles tends to be minimal.

That's a good argument for using cotter rings instead of pins wherever possible; they don't require taping. Easier in so many ways.

Too much tape tends to lead to a lack of inspection, lack of maintenance, and the inevitable consequences down the road. If you tape, then remove it each season for a proper inspection. Don't leave turnbuckles pinned and taped even if the rig can be lowered without undoing them; it's bad practice.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating