Barlow Winch identification and repair

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Matt B.
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Firefly
Boat Type: Islander 28

Barlow Winch identification and repair

Post by Matt B. »

Part of the restoration on my Cal 20 pocket cruiser is the replacement of the missing deck winches. On this boat, the winches are fairly small, mounted on the cabin roof. Since the rest of the deck hardware on the boat is bronze, I had hoped to find used bronze winches for the replacements - and I lucked out:

Matched pair of Barlow 16 single-speed winches in bronze, $50 for the pair. Now, granted, only one of them works, but the other is not in bad shape; it's missing one ratchet pawl and all four springs. I had no problem disassembling and reassembling the winches to determine the problem and how it needs to be remedied; both winches had been regularly serviced, apparently, given the lack of wear in the internal components and presense of light amounts of oil. These winches are a bit larger than the norm for this boat, but not so much so that they're awkward or unworkable; they fit easily into the space the old winches occupied, they don't look "funny" or oversized for the deck, and "too big" for something like this is, in my opinion, not a reality unless the boat's draft increases when you add the hardware.

Now, I have a couple of options; I can have a new pawl fabricated fairly easily, it's not a complex shape and I have good machinist contacts. Springs might be a little more difficult, but they're not exactly complicated either; I can probably find someone to do that. Alternatively, Hutton-Arco of Australia is offering 4 replacement pawls and 8 springs as a kit for $28 plus shipping; the price doesn't bother me, but they say those parts are for "almost all Barlow and Barient winches", but in another spot they reference that their parts are for winches manufactured after 1983. I can't seem to find any markings on either winch; they're an identical set, but the only obvious markings are the cast "Barlow", "Australia", and "16" labels on the top of the drum.

So, the questions - how do I indentify the type and model beyond "Barlow 16 single-speed"? Is there any identification beyond that point? Any way to identify the date of manufacture (at least the year?) Anybody have experience dealing with Hutton-Arco, and are they a good supplier to work with on things like this?
Matt Beland
Islander 28 #256, SV Firefly
matt@rearviewmirror.org