Rot before modification??

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
StephenHenson
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Nori
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Rot before modification??

Post by StephenHenson »

I’m starting the process of turning the aft locker into an outboard well on my Alberg 30. When I bough her, I noticed that a poorly installed cowl vent had created a soft spot in the aft deck. Wasn’t terribly concerned, since I knew I’d be doing surgery of some kind in a boat this old. Luckily, I’ll be cutting a large portion of that area away for the new hatch, but my question is....

Should I repair first and then cut?... or cut and then repair?

Thanks

Stephen
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Rot before modification??

Post by atomvoyager »

I cut out the motor hatch lid first because it gave better access for repairs and hardware removal.
StephenHenson
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by StephenHenson »

Thanks James!
StephenHenson
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by StephenHenson »

I may be starting the outboard well project now-ish, instead of waiting until Spring. Two quick questions....

1)what cutting tool works best for cutting the slot in the transom? Anything I should be wary of?

And 2)Nori is currently on the hard. We’ve sanded the bottom, removed five thru hulls and the Atomic 4(yaaaay!), filled the prop aperture and glasses everything over. Will paint the bottom this week. Our Tohatsu Sailpro currently lives on a transom bracket. We would like to splash sooner than later, as she’s our home. So... is it better to do the cutting, build and glass the part that the outboard clamps to, then finish the project in the water, or wait and do the entire project in the slip? Or is it truly imperative that I delay splashing for a couple weeks, and do the entire project on land.

Sorry for long winded, rookie questions. Thanks in advance!

Stephen
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

To cut the motor well slot in the hull and transom I first trace the pattern inside and drill each corner of the slot with something like a 1/8" drill bit. I drill a few connecting holes with a 1/4" bit until I can get a sawzall blade in and cut with either the best blade you can get because fiberglass in that area is thick and quickly dulls most blades. A jig saw can can be used for some of the curves since it's narrower blade works better for that. An oscillating tool is good for thin fiberglass cuts but probably won't work well here except for minor trimming. Once I reach the top of the hole area I use a 2.5" hole saw at the top. Then I use a 4.5" angle grinder with flat 36 grit pad to straighten the cut and a coarse flap disc on a drill to smooth the curved areas.
You can do this job entirely in the water if you remove everything from the aft part of boat and transfer to the forward and put more weight on the bow such as a few 5 gal water jugs. Then you need to do some of the job in the dinghy such as the sliding cover board bolts. Even then, the exterior touchup paint may have to wait until your next haulout. So while you don't have to do it all on the hard it will be easier to complete as much as you can before launch.
StephenHenson
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by StephenHenson »

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I will try to do as much as possible while on the hard. Technically, we still have the rest of the month before we “have to” splash.

Stephen