Handheld Chartplotters

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Handheld Chartplotters

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi All,

I'm looking at handheld GPS units for use while exploring in the Avon 310 RIB. My current setup is to use an old Garmin 72 unit to get a Lat / Long fix and compare it to a laminated chart. This works but is a real pain to use when flying along at 20 knots and you only have one hand free in any event. My other method is to memorize a particular route among landmasses and bouys. This also works but is open to operator error and I can't leave the memorized course without some risk.

These days there appear to be some very good handheld units that are, in reality, handheld versions of my primary chartplotter. Anybody have any suggestions for good handheld units. I'm thinking it would be something that looks like this...

Or maybe this...

BTW, this is the setup I use to go exploring...

Thanks!

George
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Handheld Chartplotters

Post by Hirilondë »

Maybe I am missing something, and this is quite possible, but where are you going in an inflatable that a GPS is necessary?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
George ( C&C 40 )

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Dave,

We go all over the place in the RIB. Down in the islands we'll go anywhere from 1 to 10 miles with snorkel or scuba gear to dive a reef. On the Chesapeake we'll go similar distances to meet friends or go to a restaurant. On the coast of Maine ( and this is where it is really important ) we'll be at a mooring ball in SE Harbor and want to have lunch in SW Harbor or at the end of Sommes Sound. Or, while anchored at the mudhole on Great Wass ( good sleeping ); I'll go pick up mussels around the adjoining islands or head into Jonesport. Oftentimes, Denise and I will just go out exploring in the RIB and a chartplotter is nice for that.

George
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I can't comment on the newer handheld Garmins. I use a 76 which I gather is now discontinued. In any case, your post caught my attention because of the description of holding the wheel in one hand and the GPS in the other at 20 knots....coupled with the mention of Somes Sound and Southwest Harbor.
It was more than 5 years ago and my memory isn't perfect, but a family of 8 was returning from dinner at a lobster pound in Somes Sound when they grounded hard while doing 15-20 knots. The news story indicated that the person at the helm was relying on a GPS to make his way home at night.
It made the newspapers, in part, because of the difficulty of carrying out a rescue when the grounded boat was too far from shore for fire-rescue, but too shallow for the Coast Guard vessels at hand.
First hand accounts were much more harsh, but I came away resolved not to rely on any electronics for navigation, especially in familiar waters.
Sailor Simon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: AURORA
Boat Type: Swiftsure 33

Post by Sailor Simon »

George, I use a Garmin 76c hand held,(the c being, it displays in colour, there is also a cs version which mean it also displays in colour but also has sensors, and they are altitude sensitive). I asked the West Marine guy about this and he said the 76cs version is for mountain climbers and not to detect barometric presseure , as in storm fronts. I have used this for 3 years with no concerns whatsoever. I know nothing about computers. I went "hardcore", from the advice of my tech savvy son's and now have the Garmin76c connected to the laptop. Guess what? 15 inch chart plotter, the 1.5x2.0 inch screen is now full lap top screen size! Rogers rocket internet antennae, tons of tunes from either internet, itunes or just regular saved music in some file. Sailflow weather advisory! wi-fi, cell phone, blue tooth bla bla bla.. I had never even considered any of this electronic stuff, I'm 50 never needed or wanted it, but, honestly it is pretty cool to know that these condiments are available to sprinkle on you sailboat, should I desire it. The Garmin cost about$300 and $130 for the electronic charts, $500 for the laptop, $200 for the "radio" and say $200 for wires connectors etc... Sailor Simon...

let me tune in to the Ragae station... and check the approaching fronts, want a beer? Don't get me started on the GO-PRO HD cameras on sailboat mounts in heavy weather...