Redoign nonskid under tarp

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Redoign nonskid under tarp

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Would others suggest doing my non skid repaint under the cover, which has plenty of space but I would still be on hands in knees. My concern is ventilating, but would not have to worry about rain or debris falling on undried non skid paint if I did it before taking off cover. The other concern is the foot traffic on new non skid if I took cover off after painting...I understand it is recommended not to walk on new non skid for a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Clint
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If you have room to work comfortably, even on your knees (which is pretty much how you'd do all the deckwork anyway), and can see well enough, working under the cover makes sense, particularly with the changeable weather we see in the spring. You never know when the wind's suddenly going to come up, or one of those annoying rain (or snow) showers come through. Be sure you can adequately work on all areas, and be careful not to paint yourself into a corner! You will also avoid the annoyance of dewfall problems by working under the cover.

It's best to give the final coat of the new paint a few days without much in the way of traffic, but in stocking feet and with care you can walk on it after a day as needed. I always tiptoe for the first week or so, but eventually you start to feel comfortable actually walking on it again. Working outdoors, you should probably allow extra time for the paint to fully cure, depending on the temperatures.

If the fumes during application are an issue under the cover, you can wear your cartridge respirator and work comfortably. The day after, assuming nice weather, you could certainly open part of the cover to promote ventilation and curing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating