Dewaxing solvent for fiberglass hull

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Dewaxing solvent for fiberglass hull

Post by falcon »

I hope to begin to fair out the fiberglass hull of my Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer in preparation for painting and was wondering if it was important/neccessary to purchase a specific sovent to remove wax contaminants or if I could simply use MEK or acetone? Also, what does this forum recomend as a primer coat below the waterline under the bottom paint?
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Dewaxing solvent for fiberglass hull

Post by Hirilondë »

You probably don't need any primer under bottom paint, but check the instructions for the brand you choose to be sure.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Dewaxing solvent for fiberglass hull

Post by Ryan »

As far as dewaxing solvents, my suggestion is to use whatever solvent is recommended by the paint system you plan to use. It has been said many times by many folks here, in the grand scheme of a full paint job, the recommended solvents are cheap, cheap, and cheap. It would be a shame to save a few bucks on the proper solvent and pay for it later with a paint failure.

Good Luck!