Triton Hull Issues?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Triton Hull Issues?

Post by Scott »

Hi, I have atteched three photos of the keel of my boat, two near the ballast another near the rudder fasteners. As you can see is one of the photos there is a noticeable leak above the ballast. Could anyone tell me what the worst case scenario is there, as well as to whether or not the "separation" or crack seen near the rudder gudgeon and pintle. Any insight comments or wisdom in these matters appreciated.
Attachments
Keel near rudder
Keel near rudder
Area of keel above ballast
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Triton Hull Issues?

Post by Tim »

To the dumpster with her!

Just kidding. Relax--nothing to worry about too much there, and the photos show a very typical situation--and better than most, actually.

What you're seeing is the seam of the "false keel"--an add-on piece found on the earlier models with external ballast, like yours. And mine, and all others up to and including #381. (The change to internal ballast--and a different keel mold--supposedly occurred with hull 382.) The keel design of the external ballast boats was too narrow to mold up in a female mold, so this piece was molded separately and secured after the main hull was removed from the mold.

Search here for "false keel" and you're likely to find several related threads. Also, click here. This is a common Triton situation and has been covered in great detail in many venues.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating