Outboard Antifouling

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Outboard Antifouling

Post by forrest »

I'm getting ready to put my outboard back in the well for the season and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with antifouling paint on their outboards.
Last year I tried Trilux and it seemed to be completely lacking in antifouling properties. I think I had slime on it withing two weeks.

Anyone had better luck with anything else?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Outboard Antifouling

Post by Hirilondë »

forrest wrote:
Anyone had better luck with anything else?
Not me, let me know if you find anything better.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

For anyone who is interested...
This year I used Pettit Alumaspray aerosol antifouling on my outboard and the difference from Interlux Trilux was huge. Alumaspray had no hard growth after 7 months in the water and held off soft stuff for at least a couple months (better than Trilux which was green after two weeks). Also, the soft stuff wiped off a whole lot easier than it did last year.
I sprayed it right over the Trilux, no big prep.

So in my experience, if you leave your OB in the water all season, Pettit is the way to go.

Cheers,
Forrest
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

Forrest,

Thanks for posting the info on outboard antifouling paint. Do you have pictures of the well and outboard on your Renegate that you can post or PM me?
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Thanks a lot for the response Forrest. I am totally fed up with Trilux after this season an now know what I will be trying next year.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.