south coast winch

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

south coast winch

Post by windrose »

I have the original?? winches which are South Coast.... they seen to be fine, except maintenance. Are they worth keeping, I am cash poor, for me they would be worth rebuilding, at least for now, if I can find some info on how to open them, etc.... I appreciate all your help, once again...

Poor gal Ang.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

If you are cash-poor, then they are certainly worth keeping. They are a bit undersized, and require the flat style winch handle which can be hard to find, but other than that they work fine. I sailed with them for 1 or 2 seasons and found that I rarely needed a handle (I try NOT to be out in more than 20 knots).
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I try NOT to be out in more than 20 knots
Where is the fun in that! :-)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

To open the winches for service, you just need to remove the big screw in the top of the winch. Handily enough, the flat winch handle is designed to fit right into that shallow slot to turn the screw.

If that fails, a large screwdriver held at an angle to the head of the screw towards the edge can be used to turn it as well--use a hammer to tap the screwdriver and force the screw to turn.

With all winches, be very careful when removing the drums to prevent any valuable springs or pawls from jumping free and disappearing.

Those winches work just fine. Modern winches have better-shaped drums that hold lines more effectively, but you'll be fine with the Southcoast/Merrimans. Keep tabs on any winch handles you have; it's amazing how much you have to pay for Ebay replacements, if you can find them.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Merriman winches

Post by grampianman »

Has anyone made winch handles from flat bar aluminum or stainless? I am missing the originals and was going to try this route.

Regards,
Ian
Grampian 23, Wing & a Prayer
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:
I try NOT to be out in more than 20 knots
Where is the fun in that! :-)
Having been out in 30-35 in a Triton, and 45 on Palawan, a 60 foot ocean racer, I can say that 12-18 is MUCH more fun!
windrose

Post by windrose »

I dug around and found the handles to them.... of course they won't simply unscrew after 40 years. Sprayed it down with PB blaster and am waiting, impatiently.

The wood pedestals are rotted badly, almost completely through the bottom piece... who is a good source for replacement wood. Thanks.

Also, running backstays have been installed on the fantail and a hydraulic backstay tensioner. I want to lose the running backs, what was the original set up for the fantail, looks as if it is built for a traveler and a winch. Can you give me a heads up or make a suggestion for a good cruising set up.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
Tim

Post by Tim »

Running backs? Hydraulic backstay? On a Triton? Geez, did something think they were in the America's Cup or something?

Do you really want the original mainsheet setup, or do you want a good solution? I'd recommend a traveler and 4:1 purchase tackle for the sheet. Garhauer makes an affordable traveler, and their blocks are good too.

That said, I'm upgrading from my Garhauer mainsheet tackle this year to a new Harken setup with hexratchet block; these are truly awesome. Through Port Supply, I can actually get these things for a reasonable cost, far less than even the best Internet suppliers.

The original setup was usually a pair of blocks on the deck, one on each side, through which an inverted V-shaped tackle was threaded, all led to a final cam cleat/block on the deck, possibly with a nearby winch. I don't know why anyone would knowingly strive to recreate this arrangement, though using an existing setup in lieu of spending money on something new would be a different story.

Wood: find a local hardwood supplier. They'll have what you need. Mahogany is common and shouldn't be tough to find. Alternatively, you could splurge on the nice bronze pedestal bases from Spartan Marine. Sweet.
windrose

Post by windrose »

I know, the fellow had the boat totally tricked out for racing in the mid 80's. I want to lose the tensioner too but will have to keep it this season.

Thought I would keep the baby stays just as a precaution and get rid of all the other "stuff"

I assume the traveler is mounted on the raised area of the fantail. I am going to head over to Tim's site and look for some photos.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
windrose

Post by windrose »

Ian, the consignment shop here in Annapolis has plenty of handles if you are interested.http://www.baconsails.com/

Tim, et al... the pawl springs on one of the big Merrimans are broken, I've been trying to find replacements or some spring wire.... any ideas? I've made some out of safety pins for now, they are working-- but that won't last long.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
Tim

Post by Tim »

Check out this link. It gives a good description of materials needed and the process to make your own pawl springs.

http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/fyi/w ... spring.htm
windrose

Post by windrose »

Thanks again!
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215