Signature/Imron Paint

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
stevep
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Signature/Imron Paint

Post by stevep »

Hi all -- my first post. My 1972 boat sometimes in the past was painted with Imron, but with a one part paint on the nonskid. I have been searching for a material that would let me paint a 2 part paint over both both types of paint and have come across 2 possibilities. One is Signature Paint and the other is a "new" Imron used with the appropriate Imron primer. Signature claims that it is possible to apply its 2 part directly over both 2 part and 1 part paints. I plan to roll and tip. Has anyone information, experience, advice regarding these 2 products? Thanks in advance for any assistanc.e
Steve
Contest 30 MK II
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Even if a primer does allow you to paint with a 2 part paint over the existing 1 part, I'm not so sure it is a great idea. Why go to the trouble and expense of using a 2 part paint when the material under it is likely to fail long before the new stuff will? I appreciate that the prep work to strip the old is not very appealing, but sometimes ya just gotta do it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
rescuesailor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: SV Christina Louise
Boat Type: True North 34

signature paint

Post by rescuesailor »

I used Signature Paint on a 24 Soveriegn Sailboat. I did not paint over existing paint but painted directly to the gel coat. I found the paint to do everything the owner said it would. Tech help was wonderful and the results were good. I rolled and tipped and was very surprised at the results! The gloss was good and the finish was tough. An idiot t-boned the boat at anchor with a catamaran. The result was one destroyed catamaran and no scratches to the finish to our boat at all. This occured on the first sailing trip after the paint job. With all that said we are going to use the Awgrip or Alexseal products this time around. The reasons are we are looking for a near perfect sprayed on finish.[/img]
David
stevep
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Signature Paint

Post by stevep »

Hi David -- thank you very much relating your experience with Signature Paint. I would appreciate some more detail if you don't mind. What did you use for filling cracks and imperfections before painting? Did you use the rollers sold by Tom? How many coats did you apply? Did you buff out the last coat? Sorry for the list of questions but I want get ready to get started as soon as the weather warms up a little.
Steve
Steve
Contest 30 MK II
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I just want to chime in to agree with what Dave is saying. Even if the new type of two-part paint (harder) will bond to the one-part underneath (softer), why would you want to go this route?

It seems that the only thing the new company would be able to guarantee would be that the new will stick to the old without "melting" it. I mean, how can they address (or control) the fact that the old (one-part) will no doubt be softer, and also whether or not the old (one-part) is well adhered?

With all the prep that goes into painting anyway, I guess if it were me I would either overcoat with one-part, or get rid of the one-part altogether and start fresh. I would be very hesitant to put a harder paint over a softer one, no matter what the recommendation.

I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you what to do; I'm just giving you my perspective.

We'll want photos either way ;)

Rachel
stevep
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Signature Paint

Post by stevep »

Hi Rachel -- I understand your point but at this point in my boat work, I am not looking for eternal paint adhesion. If at all possible I would like to just go ahead and paint the boat. The present one part paint has been on the non-skid areas only for about 10 years and shows no sign of ever letting go so I am not that worried about a catastrophic adhesion failure. The non non-skid area is coated with Imron, so there should be little worry there, I hope. I may be short sighted about this but only time will tell. That is why the Signature paint sounds so appealing to me. I do appreciate the comments and advice because I am still open to mind changing.
Steve
Steve
Contest 30 MK II
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Signature Paint

Post by Hirilondë »

stevep wrote:Hi Rachel -- The present one part paint has been on the non-skid areas only for about 10 years and shows no sign of ever letting go so I am not that worried about a catastrophic adhesion failure.
Steve
Sounds like a good product, why not use it again? What exactly are you expecting the 2 part paint to do that your existing paint is not doing already?

I see no gain in putting a new, very different paint on top. Most of the improved characteristics of the new stuff, if in fact there are any, are negated by what is underneath.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
stevep
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Signature Paint

Post by stevep »

Hi Dave -- I see your (and Rachel's) point about putting 2 part over 1 part paint, and your last message opened my eyes some more. So, now I think I will recoat the non-skid with 1 part paint (am leaning toward Epifanes nonskid, unless someone recommends otherwise). But, I am still interested in Signature for the smooth sections of the deck and hull and want to hear more about David's experience. Thanks again for your help.
Steve
Steve
Contest 30 MK II
rescuesailor

Signature Paint

Post by rescuesailor »

Wow, quite a few comments in just a few short days. I've been out of touch, (a thing called work keeps interfering with my boat hobby). When I painted our boat with Signature Paint we purchased a turn-key kit. It included tape, thinner, rollers, paint components, and all other needed supplies. The owner was very helpful in helping me to get the right amount of paint. We did both the hull and non-skid. We did not really have to do any filling of cracks, so I can not tell you about what to use under the paint. No primer was required just cleaning and light sanding. We painted the hull a burgandy color over white gel coat, the owner stated it would take three coats and thats what we applied. Little left over product when we were done. There was one place I thought you could see white through the color but my wife said I was crazy. Of course I am I own a boat! Only had to use Scotchbrite 3M pads in between coats. No buffing required at the end and the finish had good gloss. You could see yourself from about 4 feet out. It takes two people to roll and tip the paint. You have to work quickly but the product smooths out to an amazing finish. We kept the boat for four seasons after the paint job and it still looked great. I have pictures but I don't know how to post them on this site as I have no host online for them. All and all I liked the paint job for the boat it was on. We always recieved positive comments when people saw the boat. When we placed it on the market it sold relatively quickly. Might still be some pictures on Sailing Texas. Just google a soveriegn 24 foot sloop. Hope this helps.
David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

rescuesailor wrote: Might still be some pictures on Sailing Texas.
Oh alright, twist my arm ;)

Would it be this one?

rescuesailor

signature Paint

Post by rescuesailor »

That's her! Freetime, we added the teak around the coaming and the small pockets in the sides of the cockpit. Don't know if she survived the hurricane, but I hope so. I though she was very pretty.
David