valueof an ariel

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
kendall
Master Varnisher

valueof an ariel

Post by kendall »

Yeah I know, hard to do without pics!

But I'm Looking at an ariel, was cleaned and the decks were painted before sitting out of the water for a few years.

His asking price would be good for a sail-away boat, but this one has a few soft spots on deck, a light crack at one of them, and a few minor issues elsewhere that would keep it out of the water for me. ( water marks inside under the fixed ports etc, a few broken hasps and some serious varnish issues (i like varnished teak, an this has no varnish, just grey weathered)

Does have sails, and I also have some realy nice sails that I picked up elsewhere that should work with the ariel according to measurements (jib/genoa/spin) No outboard, but I have an extra that would fit perfectly

I don't want to rip the guy off, and definately don't want to rip myself off.

So I'm looking for opinions of a ballpark figure on what an Ariel that can be back in the water with about a month or two of messing with. (if I wanted to dedicate full time to it, I'd say maybe three weeks )

Yeah I'm very familiar with the snowball effect! (also own a triton and a 22ft portager)

Thanks in advance
Ken.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Priceless!!!

;)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
kendall
Master Varnisher

nice ;)

Post by kendall »

trying to avoid paying filet mignon prices for hamburger and you want to sell me a credit card! ;)

It has a lot of potential, for some reason it seams that albergh had his finge on your pulse and realy knew how to make a nice looking boat.

My main issue is that after 25+ years I've finally found a boat I can buy without 'hiding' it, and realy don't want to mess it up. ( she finally wised up and "well of course that the same one I bought last year" doesn't work any more.)

ken
kendall
Master Varnisher

Post by kendall »

Waited too long for a real answer, think they scrapped it, sails are on the shelf, trailer, cradle, and mast are still there but no boat. Can't see anyone buying the boat without taking them so I'm still looking to see what happened to it.

Currently looking at a couple of bristol 24's, any pointers?

Thanks
ken.
kendall
Master Varnisher

HAH!

Post by kendall »

Had it in the barn hanging from the rafters, needed the trail for something.

Got boat, trailer, cradle, nice sails, (main, jib, genoa, and storm sail) for $2200 delivered to my driveway, almost ready for bottom paint and water.

Only real defect is a small soft spot on the deck, less than a foot in diameter, and someone painted all the interior white. (makes me think of a macgregor when I see that!) Luckily not the sole or doors and drawers, so it should be an easy rescue.

Too late in the season to splash, so I'll be working on her through the winter.

Ken.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Score!

Now can we see it? :D

R.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Congrats. And now perhaps you should drop into SailFar. There are at least three Ariel owners there including the site owner who lives on one.

http://sailfar.net/
kendall
Master Varnisher

Will try to get some pics up.

Post by kendall »

Spent the afternoon blocking the trailer up to bring the stern down so I could scrub the decks, leaves and dirt all over, looked grey, Not realy clean yet, but at least you know it's white.

Was expecting a real mess in the bilge, sat in a feild for 6 years or better, but the only thing thing in the bilge is dust, cobwebs, and an old sponge. Figure that means there are no leaks in the deck. (or that sponge is going to be REAL heavy)

I'll check out sailfar, the ariel looks like it could be a nice compact liveaboard for singles, or a very close couple.

Ken.