Tim's engine box

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
David

Tim's engine box

Post by David »

I was browsing thru your site recently in hopes of seeing exactly how your engine box opens up--to get some ideas. Could you explain how it goes together, opens up and how it latches?

Currently the Bristol's engine is mostly covered by a very large box that fits over all the engine area. It takes up a lot of room and is a bear to stow if work has to be done.

Any other thoughts on providing subtile engine access as part of a shipshape interior out there?

Thanks in advance,

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

My engine box and steps are several pieces, none of which is overly large and bulky. The largest piece is 1/2" plywood of about 30" x 36".

To access the engine, I first remove the external step arrangement, which is secured with two simple pull/clamp latches, one on each side. You can see one in the photo below. Then, I remove the large vertical piece behind, which is secured with a barrel bolt on one side and a single hook on the other side; the barrel bolt is visible on the left in this photo, and the hook is on the opposite side(just visible at the top right). The main vertical piece is also withheld with a pair of cleats secured to the curved part of the hull at the bottom edge.

The two steps and single riser piece come out next. I slide the vertical riser, which is held in by a cleat on the bottom and a rabbet in the overhanging top step, out towards the starboard side (left in this photo). Then the bottom step simply lifts up and out. The wide top step slides straight out.

The steps are supported by simple horizontal braces, shown here during the early stages of construction.

The cross supports (which support the lower step) easily come out if needed, opening the entire engine room for unimpeded access; the forward one is just pinned in place, and the after one is secured with a couple screws. I often remove the forward one during routine maintenance, but rarely remove the after one.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Where do you keep the real engine? That one has obviously never been turned over.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, as a matter of fact, you're right: that picture was taken during the engine's installation, before, in fact, it had ever been turned over.

That said, I have to say that it doesn't look much different now. I work hard to maintain a clean engine and engine room.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Yeah, I realized it might be a file photo after I hit the post button. Someday I will try thinking before writing.

How do you know there are fluids in the engine if you can't see them oozing out?

I like the fact you moved the battery box out from under the original steps. It seems to help the galley area quite a bit. That engine sticks out a bit more than the Atomic 4 right?

Have a nice vacation. Will you be coming home with a new boat?

-Britton

BTW I don't think you got my emails I sent from the NETA site about the burgees for sale.