What is elastomeric sealant?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

What is elastomeric sealant?

Post by Rachel »

I ran across a mention of "elastomeric sealant" on the web (someone used it for sealing a nav light) and got curious about it. A bit of Googling and I'm still not sure, although I have the feeling it might be related to butyl somehow. One product link that came up was for Elastomeric Marine Sealant by Rule, stocked at Jamestown.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... o?pid=8220

It certainly sounds like it has potential. Does anyone know more about it? Is it just butyl with another name? Does it compare to, or is it the same as, another type of caulk/sealant that we're (I'm) generally more familiar with?

Perhaps most important: Have they snuck any silicone in?

From Jamestown's page:

* Elastomeric sealant can be wet sanded and painted after curing.
* Heavy duty use above or below the waterline.
* Twists, bends, expands, compresses.
* Use elastomeric sealant adhesive to seal ports, beds hardware, and ststops leaks.
* Adheres tenaciously without primers to fiberglass, glass, all plastic.
* Cures in temperatures from -20 degrees to +120 degrees fahrenheit.

Thanks,
Rachel
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

Thats funny, I saw that stuff at my local store today and was wondering the same thing.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Forrest - welcome to the forum! Bellingham is a nice place :)

So that makes two of us curious...

R.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The name just means it stretches a lot. Seems strange to me that the tab for tech info says nothing about its primary chemical make up. The add reads like its the greatest, but I will let others prove it first.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The funny thing about ad copy is how it makes whatever product or service always sound like the greatest. You'd think the purpose of ad copy was to sell product or something.

BTW, the only sealants I know that come in clear are silicone-based.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

If you Google 'elastomer' and then go to the Wikipedia definition, you'll read more than you'd want to know. A quick count shows 26 different types of elastomers encompassing nearly all the sealant types that have crossed this Forum, and most of the natural and synthetic stretchy materials we've ever heard of. DuPont, as a further example, had a whole division called 'elastomers'.

The ad copy cited is telling the buyer essentially nothing by saying 'elastomeric sealant'.

Worrisome that Tim observes that all clear sealants he knows are silicone based. I've bought what I thought was acrylic painters' caulk that went on white and cured clear-ish. I also bought some exterior quality (said so right on the tube!) goo that cured clear and was supposed to be paintable which I used for a place on Q's woodwork that needed to be perfectly watertight, clear and varnishable (the joint is imperfectly wide and deeply veed, so there's no doing it neatly). So far, so good. Normally, nothing sticks to silicone and it's devilishly hard to remove.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

It's a space-age technology.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

If you Google 'elastomer' and then go to the Wikipedia definition
As an aside, I just found out that any moron can erase and re-write a Wikipedia definition. I was wondering about some info there and got to looking around and asking questions. Very little Wikipedia info is actually backed up by real facts. The articles are mostly just stories and faulty ones at that.

'Marketing' and 'Advertising' are just fancy words meaning 'To lie and deceive outrageously'. I think I read that on Wikipedia...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

I think the time of enlightenment for me was when I spied a book on the shelf of a local book seller entitled; "How To Lie With Facts".
I suppose I was a bit innocent before that.

Tim J
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

As an aside, I just found out that any moron can erase and re-write a Wikipedia definition. I was wondering about some info there and got to looking around and asking questions. Very little Wikipedia info is actually backed up by real facts. The articles are mostly just stories and faulty ones at that.

In defense of Wikipedia, the journal "Nature" did a side by side study of it and the Encyclopedia Britannica and found they had similar error rates. I've always found it to be pretty reliable.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Interesting. Their articles about Dories are pure fiction. I have been talking to a wiki moderator about bringing them up to some level of truthfulness. The Triton article used to be pretty bad but now I see it is only a bit bad.

Now I wonder about Britannca.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

I've used elastomeric

Post by John, CD28 »

I used Rule's Elastomeric Sealant to bed bronze thru-hulls on an old boat once. Just a few years ago, the current owner of that boat & I pulled them back out, and the elastomeric sealant looked fine. Also, One of the guys at my club used it to seal bronze ports and removed them again years later. He also said the elastomeric sealant was in very good shape and still kept a watertight seal. He highly recommends it for bedding ports.

It goes on like clear silicone, then cures transparent and rubbery. It does have some adhesive properties, but nothing like a polyurethane. I have no idea what it's made from, but the maker's sandability claims seem to contradict the rubbery nature of this sealant.

Best,
John
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by preserved_killick »

I've used LEXEL sealant around the house and it's worked great.

I just bought some to seal an acrylic sheet to a wooden hatch.
http://www.sashcosealants.com/Home_Impr ... Lexel.aspx

It's very clear, durable and you can paint it (with latex paints).

I just sealed some plastic portlights with Butyl rubber and what a pain to work with. If I thought of it prior I would have used the lexel sealant.

-jeff
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The packaging says nothing about ingredients? We don't carry the stuff at work, but I'm going to try to get the MSDS for it. I'm no chemist, but I need to know more before I try it. Having a clear that isn't silicone would be great.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.