ICE BOX SIZE

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

ICE BOX SIZE

Post by Idon84 »

I need some input...

Rebuilding my icebox and was wondering what the average size of a typical icebox for 2 people would be before I start building. By my calculations 4.5 cubic feet will be the size of my icebox after 4" of insulation. Almost seems smallish to me to be able to keep things cool for a week or so.

Thoughts? Opinions?

By the way I have looked into the Vacuum Panels @ Glacier Bay and even though they are quite expensive the thing I don't like about them is that they have to be prebuilt and you can't drill dividers to them after the fact because it will ruin the vacuum. Is this a correct statement? Anyone used this type of set up?

Just seems like 4" of HD Foam from the home store with 3/8 ply would be cheaper and more customizable to me.

Thanks again,

Bryon
http://picasaweb.google.com/idon84
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I don't have a good cubic-footage number in mind, but I do have a comment: If you plan on buying block ice (or making it at home in a certain size dishpan or the like), I would suggest testing how your ice box shape works with that. You hate to end up with a space that's just a wee bit too small, or wrong-shaped, for the block(s) of ice you intend to use.

Edited to add: I don't have any experience with those vacuum panels either, but I tend to think the same way about them that you do. Unless space were completely unavailable, I think I would go the thick foam/glass (wood?) route. I think some kind of loose, flexible panel (maybe vacuum?) that you can lay over the top of the contents (and then just lift up a corner to grab a beverage, etc.) might be a good thing.
Idon84

Post by Idon84 »

I'm finding server-al sources that use 5 Cubic Feet, and since I'm a minimalist 4.5CF would probably work fine for our needs. Because it has to go where it has to go!

I agree completely with the opening size. I once had a friend who built a cooler in his San Juan 24 and couldn't put block ice from the store in it because the hole was too small. I'll have to make sure to have that figured out before I go to far.

You gave me a good idea about using a Vacuum panel for the top of the icebox thereby eliminating the thickness of the top while being able to increase the size of the hole. I'll have to head back to the drawing board!

Bryon
http://picasaweb.google.com/idon84
Idon84

Post by Idon84 »

Man my spelling is horrid sometimes!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Actually, what I meant was an additional, loose panel that you would more-or-less drape across the top of the contents of the icebox. In my mind the icebox lid would still be the same as usual. With the panel, when you open the lid, instead of baring the whole thing to the warm air while you fumble with the lid, shop, rummage, etc., you can just lift up one corner of the panel (say, where you know the cheese is, or whatever).

Maybe if it could be something like clear bubble wrap, you could even sort of shop through it. I've never seen the vacuum panels, so I don't know what they look like.

On the other hand, if I wasn't clear in how I described it, and that led you to a better idea, great!

Rachel
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

two or three points here.

Set it up so the ice doesn't sit on the bottom. In ours we set the ice on a shelf that is drink can height off the bottom. Ice sitting in water goes away MUCH faster.

Make the lids in two pieces. We have a larger side and a smallish lid. We only open the bigger side to put things like ice blocks in. The small side is the part that gets opened to get drinks out.

We use a sheet of the bubble type insulation, with foil on one side, that is used for insulation under metal roofs. It's slightly over 1/4 inch thick. It's cut to fit inside the box and it lays on top of everything- you must reach under it to get to things. Helps a LOT to keep the ice from melting

We had a fiberglass liner, so insulated the exterior with 3/4 foam sheets, foil both sides. Cut so each layer had joints staggered from the previous. Then seams or any gaps were filled with a non expanding spray foam and the final joints taped with the metallic duct tape. Our insulation is roughly 4 inches thick and the box will hold a 16 pound block for 7 or 8 bays easily. Be SURE you insulate the lids as heavily ( if not moreso) than the rest. You lose a LOT of cold with thinly insulated lids. Also, it would be a good idea to put some foam strips around under the edges of the lids, where they sit down on the box. The picture doesn't show that but we added some later.

BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

The ice box on my boat could substitute as a built in 'pack-and-play'. I don't have kids but if a grown up is bad, that's where I put them for a little time out.

S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Wow, an icebox centaur...

And hey, you have a Spong coffee mill! I have one of those, but have ended up using a box mill (Trosser) instead because I could carry it out to the cockpit (or, on land, to the couch). I haven't parted with the Spong yet though.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Rachel, quite the eagle eye!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32