Painting my Deck - Over the non-skid?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Painting my Deck - Over the non-skid?

Post by Noah »

Ok, Clearly I did things in the wrong order last year.

The update - last year I purchased my Swede, and realized that the non-skid was totally shot. I sanded it all down last spring and repainted just the non-skid with Interlux Perfection Epoxy paint and interlux non-skid compound.

Now that I have lived with it for a year I have realized that the rest of the decks need paint - especially in contrast with the white non-skid. The original gelcoat is in great condition, no cracks etc just dull and in some spots worn pretty thin.

So my question is, what's my best bet on making the boat look great? (I have already removed most of the hardware from the boat, and it's under cover.)

Options to start the discussion:
1: Buff existing gelcoat and be happy with it.

2: Spray 1-2 coats of Interlux Perfection white over the top of the non-skid and the rest of the boat. Will the non-skid pattern still work/show through? This would be by far the easiest!

3:Paint over everything, then re-tape the non-skid pattern (using the old reference and redo.

4: Sand everything and start over - holy crap that's a big job, and I will probably just go with option 1 if it's the case.

5: Some other option...

So what is it experts? And yeah, I should have stripped the rest of the hardware last spring and painted the whole thing.

Thanks,

Noah
I want a shop!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I hate to say it, but I'd probably go with the dreaded Option 4. I think painting over everything would be a poor choice that would reduce the effectiveness of your nonskid and make it look like someone just painted over it (which, indeed, would be the case) You might have success with retaping and repainting the nonskid afterwards, but if you're going this route you'd be better off just starting fresh, in my opinion.

It'd be nice to say just tape and mask off the new nonskid so you can prep and paint the smooth areas, but it's doubtful that you would get an acceptable tape line using this approach.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

You could try and eek out a few more years out of the gel coat by repairing it where it needs it. If its in serviceable condition that is...

This is something I'm wrestling with as well, although I haven't done anything yet. My non-skid is so-so, and the gelcoat has some blemishes and is wearing thin in some spots. I'm actually thinking of re-gelcoating it a few years.

Paint is great, but darn thin for a well used deck. Gelcoat hides the nicks and scratches better. My only concern with re-gelcoating is piling on so much gel coat that it will be too thick.
Noah

Post by Noah »

Dang, I really didn't want to hear that...Let me try sanding the surface and see how quickly it comes off.
I want a shop!
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Noah,

Do you have a website or blog for your Swede?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Do it right. Do it once.

Take a shortcut and you are on it forever...

Besides, working on boats is FUN!!!

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Noah

Post by Noah »

That's easy to say, but I have 53ft of Epoxy painted deck to sand - not an easy task...I do have a spare sander if you want a trip to Vermont...
I want a shop!