Spreaders

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Spreaders

Post by sal's dad »

I got the Corinthian (and cradle) onto the trailer, (PITA) lowered the mast, and looked over the rigging again. THe spreaders are even worse than I thought, and I busted the "pin" through the mast trying to get them off.

I am thinking I'll make new spreaders out of some Ipe scraps I have around - heavy, but strong, and free. I'm thinking 1.25 x 2.5, they are about 24" long. Buy some stainless 1/2" threaded rod or something, and epoxy it into holes drilled in the wood. Maybe big fender washers to spread the load a bit, as it passes through the lower shroud tang?

If I can clean up the old aluminum ends, I'll use those. Otherwise, any suggestions for relieving the pressure of the shroud on the endgrain?

There was a good discussion at
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... t=spreader )
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: Spreaders

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

sal's dad wrote:Otherwise, any suggestions for relieving the pressure of the shroud on the endgrain?
You aren't going to relieve this pressure... its sort of the point of the spreader (ok bad pun). You can mitigate the effects and spread the load with a metal strap fashioned around the grain of the tip of the spreader though.