cock pit holes

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Jim H 266

cock pit holes

Post by Jim H 266 »

Greetings Tritoniacs:
As Heart's Ease, No 266 nears completion of major refit, I'm searching for a way to make the cock-pit seaworthy. I have installed latches and gaskets on the lazaretts . Is there a cover for the shift lever where it fits thru the cock-pit sole?
The aft end of the cock-pit has a storeage area is covered by a mahogony board. What solutions have others come up with to make the cock-pit reasonably safe and seaworthy?
Jim H 266
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

My boat (#680) has a bronze plate over the shift lever hole with a screw out center section (back of shifter fits in slot) to access the shift linkage below. I am pretty sure that is standard for most if not all Tritons. I suspect some rebuilds have replaced that cover when converting to a different power source so there must be a few old plates kicking around somewhere.

How big is your storage area in the aft end? I only have about six inches of room between the tiller head and aft portion of the cockpit.

I am putting in a large access hatch in the forward section of the cockpit, otherwise I would consider filling in the forward section with a storage area about a foot deep. James, on Atom,did that I believe when he removed his engine.

That said, I haven't heard that the Triton's cockpit size is much of a problem anyway. It is true that smaller is better. Alternative to a permanent fill or storage area, you could fill in extra space with a portable fuel tank/water tank/ or liferaft package during a passage which would accomplish the same thing and then, when coastal sailing, store the filler somewhere else and enjoy the larger cockpit space.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The storage area at the aft end of the cockpit becomes much more usable and efficient if you close off the vertical opening and install a new opening in the poop deck above. What was originally a tight, difficult-to-access space suddenly becomes an emminently useful and easily-accessed locker.

Creating a new lazarette storage area
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating