Painting "Derk" the Diesel

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Painting "Derk" the Diesel

Post by Triton 185 »

Hello....I want to repaint my diesel before I install. I'm not sure what to do - to get good results. The motor has some flaking paint in places and is somewhat dirty. I am thinking about meticulously wire brushing (fine stainless) and then cleaning with solvent before repainting.

All thoughts and tips appreciated.

Stephen Triton #185
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

You'll never get all of the rust off, so just get as much as you can. You'll find a combination of wire brushes, a wire wheel for your drill, and sandpaper helpful. Be sure to remove or tape off belts, wires, sensors and anything else that you don't want paint on. You'll want to use spray paint - it's fast, easy and you'll have a much easier time getting good coverage in all of the nooks and crannies.

When I painted my old A4, I used a Rustoleum rust-inhibitor primer and then top coated it with John Deere tractor paint. It came out great, particularly as I did it in the boat and held up well until I sold the boat. It was one day project from prepping the motor to spraying the last topcoat.

Here are a few shots.

- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. The "Rustoleum rust-inhibitor primer" that you used - is that the brand name? Does the motor have to be clean of the of old paint before you use it or will it go over the old paint? I imagine as well that it is a high heat paint?

Thanks,

Stephen, Triton 185
rshowarth

Painting Rusted Engine

Post by rshowarth »

Do you think Por-15 would work well?

http://www.por15.com/
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

Good call on the POR-15. Great stuff, used prime bike frames with it. What's nice about their products is that they convert the visible rust to something a bit more stable (yes I know, technically iron oxide is the most stable form for iron alloys) to prevent further rusting and etch the surface for a tenacious grip. The other reason I'd go with them is that it is engine enamel (designed for high heat) and will take the rigors of the heating/cooling cycle better than the usual spray paint. Actually, if you load the POR-15 into one of those pre-val sprayers from a hardware store, you kind of have the ultimate in spray paint! After the stuff fully dries its almost impossible to remove and holds up, well, like rust (but in a good way). Just make sure you mask or remove the rubber parts, its a good deal more nasty than spray paint.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

I used Por-15 to paint my diesel this spring and so far it has been fine. I brushed on their engine enamel with a small brush and although a slower process, there were no problems with overspray. The hardest part is getting it clean. Degreaser, solvents, brushes of all sorts and I still missed some! I just hauled this week and I sprayed it down with rust inhibitor to ward off repeating the job. Good luck!
David
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Thanks for all of the information. I will give the POR-15 a try. Looks like they have a colour close to the original Perkins blue.
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

#218,
You referred to using John Deere tractor paint. Are you referring to the color or does JD sell a paint. I guess, as many tractors sit out in the weather, a JD paint would have to be pretty good stuff.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

The only John Deere paint I could find was in a gallon can and I was looking for a spray paint. I found a "Tractor and Implement Paint" that was clearly modeled after John Deere's proprietary color.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com