Barrier Coat?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Barrier Coat?

Post by cdawgs65 »

Has anyone put the barrier coat up to the top of the boot stripe, if so what was the game plan after that?
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Given the fact the many boats will sometimes sit below their waterline I would always extend the barrier coat to the top of the stripe. Unless the stripe is deeply scored or you are striking a new line you will have to barrier coat the stripe either before or after the bottom. allow for a small overlap to maintain the integrity of the barrier coat. Finish up with a couple of coats of your desired topside paint on the cove stripe.
The board does not cut itself short!
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

How many Layers?

Post by cdawgs65 »

I used West Systems 422 with epoxy, 4 coats, this stuff seems bullet proof, I rolled and tipped. I was told at least 3 coats if sanding and also heard 6. Time was my problem, so I went with 4, any thoughts?
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

There's nothing inherent in the term 'barrier coat' that limits how high you take it. Certainly, overpainting West System epoxy will be fine. Those (few) folks who wish to re-gel coat the topsides will be hard pressed to over-coat the barrier coat but I imagine that using vinylester for barrier coat could be coated with gel.

I doubt you need to take the barrier coat up for reasons of preventing blistering unless you're going to load the boat below her lines. A little splash isn't going to be a problem unless you have an old Valiant with the flame resistant polyester; I think they blister right up to the masthead.

I dunno what the barrier coat is on our NE 38. It's soft and gummy. It's taken only up to the bootstripe. I've slopped epoxy and bottom paint on it w/o known problems.

There are endless opportunities for incompatible coatings. Go straight to the paint or coating manufacturer.

Comments about lapping coats and appropriate heights are germaine. I think our boottop is Awlgrip as is the hull above. It was perfect three years ago at purchase but is now bubbling badly. It might be overcoated on the barrier coat or simply the fact that Awlgrip does not like water.