Insect screens

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Insect screens

Post by Figment »

We've been invited on a memorial day weekend cruise to a location (Hamburg Cove) that I remember to be rather chock full of bugs. I fully expect to return from this trip reeking of "DeepWoods Off!", but still would rather not deal with a cabin full of bugs the whole weekend if I can avoid it.

Do you folks even bother trying to screen off the companionway and foredeck hatch, or is it just not practical?

Thanks.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

We have drop in washboard frames with screening for the companionway, and then we draw the companionway hatch closed. For the foredeck hatch, we have a square of fiberglass screen which we hemmed on four sides and laced a piece of small stuff though such that we can just tie it around the molded flange.

Up here in ME it is simply not practicle to NOT have a bugscreen for the hatch and companionway.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'm just putting the finishing touches on some new screened swashboards. I had a set that I slapped together a couple years ago, but they were lousy.

For the new ones, I built new boards to replace the top two of the original solid boards. Details on the construction will in due time, but basically I made them of 1/2" mahogany plywood to which I attached an inner piece of 1/4" plywood. I made a cutout in each piece for the screen opening, then disassembled the pieces and installed the screen, which is stapled in place to hold it. Then the back piece covers it all, and the 3/4" thickness is equivalent to the originals.

For my forward hatch, I have a square of screen with velcro stuck around the edges, which fits easily into place from the bottom. Every so often the stickum on the velcro fails, so it's easy enough to make a new piece.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

I used the Bug Bafflers available at west or defender I can't remember which. They are expensive for what they are but I felt they worked great. They allow you to keep the companionway hatch open which lets in alot more air. They are basically a netting bag with lead sewn into the hem to keep them in place. I needed something right away so that is what I got.

Brock Richardson
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I agree that bug screens are very practical and probably essential. A couple of years ago I went the cheap and dirty route and just sewed the plastic velcro fingers around the edge of some tent screening (very fine mesh) and glued the fuzzy part of the velcro around the companionway hatch. It worked fine for a couple of months and it didn't look too bad. The fuzzy strip was not too obtrusive and considering the alternatives I was very happy with it. I would definitely make proper screened boards if I wanted the finished look.

-Britton
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Thanks for the tips guys! I've had it in mind to set up screens sometime this summer, and your comments today validate exactly what I had in mind.

In this part of Florida, our roaches are nearly as big as a computer mouse, and they fly (and you thought everything was big only in Texas!).
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen