New forestay

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

New forestay

Post by george »

I visited the boat this last weekend and, despite almost freezing to death in sub-freezing temperatures, was able to accomplish most everything I set out to do.

I learned my forestay will have to be replaced. It has come untwisted at the base, it appears the auto-furler got jammed and the previous owner yanked until the forestay was ruined.

Any idea how much that will set me back? I have asked the yard for an estimate, but was wondering what a good price would be.

I guess my old Hood Sea Furl is not going to be salvagable either. Any idea how much it would cost to get my 3 jibs (they are in new condition) refashioned to use hanks?

Thanks for any input. And thanks to Ric for visiting and Rachel for putting up with my 101 questions!
--Bringing back Alberg 30 #439--
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

You didn't say what kind of boat you have, so of course price depends on size.

Last June I replaced the forstay on my LeComte Northeast 38 which has 1/4 inch 1x19 SS and a mast that is 45 feet off the water (forget exact length of forestay). I did this in conjunction with installing roller furling.

Anyway I replaced everything, stay, toggles, turnbuckles etc. I had a fitting swaged on the top and a Navco fitting on the bottom. Everything professionaly done (except installing, which I did myself) cost $300.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by george »

thanks!

i have an alberg 30 that i am attempting to bring back to life.

i can hang in the $300 range. i was just hoping it wouldn't be $1000+, which would have surpassed my meager budget.
--Bringing back Alberg 30 #439--
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

The entire standing rigging on my old Morgan 27 cost about $1700 about 4 years ago. Two uppers, four lowers, fore and vee'd backstay, lifelines, 3/16" 316 stainless, turnbuckles and all. Rigging Only, Fairhaven MA.

Just shipped 'em my originals.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

Price will depend a _lot_ on if you get swaged fittings or terminals like sta-lock or norseman. Termanals cost more but are re-usable and field installable.

A proper swage must be cold rolled on a proper machine. It is no better than the operator and machine used, and you will not be able to tell visualy if it was done properly. If you get termanals you can put them on yourself and know exactly what you have.

Personally I would not have a swaged fitting except if it was done by a totally repretabule establishment. It was not my preference to have one on the top of my forstay, but I had it made up by Seco South http://www.secosouth.com/ (who own Navtec and Lewmar) and the individual who did the swage came highly recommended by someone who I trust at Hood.

Swages on the top are less likely to fail than those on the bottom. This is because salt water runs downhill and get into the lower swadge before the upper.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Re: New forestay

Post by fusto »

george wrote:I guess my old Hood Sea Furl is not going to be salvagable either.
You might want to try contacting Hood.
Last summer we sent an old (about ten years) Hood furling drum in to Hood for a repair and rebuild, and they just sent us a brand new furling unit.
No charge! (Although we did by a whole bunch of new foils too.)
The new model while very similar to the old model is much improved.

I guess theyre trying to get back into the furler market.

Might be at least worth a phone call.
Zachary
Adams, MA