Portable diesel tanks?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Portable diesel tanks?

Post by JonnyBoats »

The diesel tank for my LeComte Northeast 38 is integral to the bilge, and I have been getting water in my diesel. I have not yet determined exactly where yet, so...

My intention is to take the boat to a yard to be hauled out. It is a yard where I can do my own work, but I need to get the boat there first.
Is there such a thing as a portable diesel tank, similar to the 5 gallon gas tanks used with outboard motors? I have heard of (but never seen) diesel outboard motors so I _assume_ there must be.

My idea is to use a portable diesel tank to get to the yard. The engine is a Volvo MD2B rated at about 25 HP, so we are not talking about huge fuel flows here.

Is this a totally wacky or unsafe idea?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

You can get portable diesel tanks.
They're just the same as the red portable gas cans, but they're yellow.
Other than the color, no difference.

We had a WWII subchaser come into our yard in Bellingham about 2 years ago from Orcas Island and they made it the whole way running humongous twin V12's on portable diesel gas cans.

Should be ok for your little Volvo.

Zachary
Adams, MA
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Good Old Boat Magazine had an article on how to make a temp Diesel tank in their Nov/Dec 2006 issue, page 77. It includes a diagram to modify the spout to accommodate the fuel outlet and return lines.

The cap was modified by making two round pieces of plastic to fit inside the open cap, with two off center holes drilled through to fit two pieces of copper tubing: one for the supply going almost to the bottom of the tank and one for the return, only going part way in. The rubber fuel lines were clamped to the top of the tubes.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Didn't we have this discussion three months ago and determine that tanks are supposed to be permanently mounted ?
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

My idea is to use a portable diesel tank to get to the yard.
He's just looking for a temporary solution to get to a yard where he can locate the source of the water in his primary tank.
Zachary
Adams, MA