Folding Pad eyes

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Folding Pad eyes

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Anyone any recommendations on folding pad eyes for clip in points ?

I'm thinking the sea Dog ones look like junk and the Wichard ones look better. I cannot determine quality on the Holt ones.

appreciate any experience you folks have here. Also whether the manufacturers supply pre-drilled backing plates or whether you make your own.

Thx
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

The Wichard ones are very nice. Just installed some recently for a customer. Quality castings.

The Sea Dog's are about what you would expect.
Zachary
Adams, MA
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Note that the Wichard ones come with a little piece of rubber in back of the "folding D" ring. This helps dampen vibration so the metal doesn't make an annoying chatter when motoring.

Haven't seen backing plates for these which is a shame, but they are easy enough to make.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I am installing many Wichards this winter for boats doing the Marion/Bermuda Race. In a strong spot of the cockpit, cabin, etc. fender washers are often enough, but Marion/Bermuda Committee requires backing plates regardless of location or to what material they are attached. Yet they don't specify any particular materials for them (the backing plates). Seems kind of arbitrary to me. Hmm, I wonder what they would say about cardboard?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Dave to the rescue again,

I'm installing two of the mid sized Winchard fold-down pad-eyes in my C&C 40's cockpit this weekend. I'll make sure to use some 1/2" Starboard material I have as backing plates. I'm trying to make sure that all the work I do to the boat for my upcomming cruises also meets Cat 1 offshore specs. I'm not planning any races over the next two years but I would like to do Annapolis-Newport and Annapolis-Bermuda sometime after that.

Thanks for the post,

George
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I probably sound like a nerd here, but I've read that Starboard can "creep" and thus makes not-so-good backing plates. That being said, I doubt it would actually fail; but OTOH you probably have other materials available, so I thought I'd mention it.

Rachel
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the note. I was unaware that Starboard had a certain "creep" factor. I'll make up some out of glassed-over plywood instead.

Geore