Prop nut

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Prop nut

Post by richfriend »

Since I didn't have the time or energy to get out the sawzall and skill saw and remove more of my boat interior, I decided to tackle my prop removal problem. It was obvious that it has been years since the prop was off and I figured it would be difficult. The lock nut came off without too much difficulty witht he appliction of powerblaster and a 1/2" impact wrench. What appears to be the second nut is a different story.

I cannot tell if what is there is the remnants of a nut or part of the prop. It would not budge on application of a pipe wrench with a 3' extension, and It seemed like additional force would only break something.

I have attached several pictures and as I have never dealt with this before, would defer to those of you with more experience (that would be almost all)

1. Is that actually a nut, or part of the prop?
2. If it is a nut, can I split it with a nut splitter?
3. If it is part of the prop, should I be able to pull the prop off the taper (with an appropriate puller) and shouldn't there be two nuts?
While you think you're green, you're growing,
but when you think you're ripe, you're rotten.
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

Looks like a nut to me.
While there are not always 2 nuts, it is the most common practice.
Also, if that was part of the prop, that would be one weird looking prop.
:-)

I would try heat.
A propane torch, and if that doesn't work get an oxy/acetylene torch with a rosebud tip.
Just remember to be very careful where and for how long you hold the tip.
Zachary
Adams, MA
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

If the material is bronze or brass, soak it repeatedly in Tabasco Sauce ... seriously!

Stainless will probably react better to heat. Concentrate the heat on the nut to expand it on the shaft. A brief exposure to high heat on the nut alone is better than slowly getting the shaft, prop, and nut hot.

Good luck!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

richfriend wrote:The lock nut came off without too much difficulty witht he appliction of powerblaster and a 1/2" impact wrench. What appears to be the second nut is a different story...

...shouldn't there be two nuts?"
Am I confused, or aren't you describing two different nuts? You mention removing the "lock nut", plus the nut that is still on the shaft.

Your photos show what certainly looks to be a nut. It looks to be either a strangely shaped nut, or else it is badly rounded over--perhaps from someone's previous unsuccessful attempt to remove it. Are there any true flats on that nut? The photo is a little blurry, so it's hard to see the detail.

Patience, penetrating oil (or Tabasco, as mentioned), and possibly heat will eventually get this nut off. Be careful with the heat if you go that route. Don't force things, or you risk badly damaging your shaft or propeller. Be careful with things like large wrenches or breaker bars, too. It's very easy to do irrevocable harm. You'll either get it with a regular wrench, or it's not going to come. I don't know much about nut splitters, but whatever you use, be very careful that you don't damage the taper or threads on the shaft. If you damage the existing shaft, then all your time working to get things off is wasted.

If you're not planning on reusing these things anyway, then save yourself the hassle and just cut the shaft now. But I'm assuming for now that you would like to save the shaft and prop. Eventually, you might run into the problem of diminishing return, where the time you spend trying to remove and save the current gear is worth more than just replacing the getup entirely. But assuming you have some time before you truly need this removed, then keep applying the penetrating oil over a period of days and weeks, and keep trying that nut with a regular wrench. If this doesn't work within a reasonable amount of time, then consider springing for new gear and cutting out the old so that you can move on in your project.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JSmith
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by JSmith »

If you're going to pull the shaft - and if the rudder is pulled too, disconnect at the coupling on the gear inside and pull the whole works- Couldn't tell if the rudder was still there.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I'm not convinced that that's a nut - if it was, wouldn't it have flat faces?. It's (very) hard to tell from the pictures, but I think there's a chance that's either a spacer (unlikely), a flange on the prop or a hub the prop will slide off of.
Is there a key and keyway that you can see anywhere when you look straight at it?

My vote for the culprit here is the grey area aft that looks like it might be corrosion to me. I'm guessing that if you can clean this up and pull, the prop might slide off. It's worth a try, and I think it may be a better place to start?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I'm not convinced that that's a nut
I agree that the shape of the 'flats' looks suspicious. They are obviously not cleanly six sided and the odd shape is a little too regular to simply be the result of rounding over. On the other hand what else would it be? The shape could be the result of the impact gun hitting all sides equally and with excessive force. It would be time consuming and pointless to build that shape into the casting mold IMHO. The lack of space could easily be the result of years of corrosion and stress. I have seen that before.

I have never used an impact gun on bronze but I can imagine that it would quickly deform it. It depends, mine generates about a 1000 lb/ft of reverse torque which I know will wreck bronze. I saw one in Home Despot that put out about 250 lb/ft so you might be okay there. As a rule I would be careful with impact tools on bronze. It is a pretty soft material. I can and do often bend steel with impact tools. It is even possible that the nut has been 'crimped' onto the shaft from the beating action of the impact gun.

Did the nut look like that before you started?

As I have mentioned before I had a bad experience with a stuck prop on a bronze shaft so my advice is colored. If it looks that bad then maybe it is time to order some new parts. Even if you get it apart it will probably be too ugly and stressed to re-use.

'New' is always a good color on a boat :-)

-Britton
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

If that is a nut, and it's rounded by removal attempts (I have great experience doing that very thing) then you'll need a special wrench that will get a good grip all around it without slipping. This one is called a 10" Bionic Wrench, found at
http://loggerheadtools.com/?main_page=index

As Tim says, be patient and keep soaking it. In time it should surrender.
Good luck!

Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
windrose

Post by windrose »

If it is fixed---don't broke it! HA!

You been hanging out here too long.;-)
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by richfriend »

Thanks all for the responses. The lock nut came off easily with an imackt wrench, 3-4 seconds. The second nut, or whatever it is, was that shape when I got it. There is a keyway visible on the front side of the prop but not on the back end. I have been applying powerblaster on a regular basis and will try the Tabasco route also.

The prop spins in a cutout in a skeg which prevents the prop and shaft from being removed together. It appears that there is enough clearance to slide the shaft out without the prop on it.

Perhaps I will leave it alone for this year and plan on cutting the shaft and replacing it next fall.
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Prop Nut Revisited

Post by richfriend »

I decided to revist my prop/propnut situation today. I had been applying Powerblaster on a regular basis, and even took the jar of Tabasco Sauce from our kitchen and applied it. I had heated the area on several occasions (Propane and a plumbers aceytalene torch to no avail). I had been loaned a prop puller which meant that the time must be right. A gentle application of the prop puller (1/2 a grunt -- that is a techinical term for a mesurement of force) produced no results, I reasoned that the obscure object on the aft end of the prop shaft must be a nut. An application of heat and a large wrench sheared off the threaded end of the prop shaft (see pics).
The mystery object on the aft end of the prop was indeed a nut that had been mutilated by some prior attempt at removal. It is firmly bonded to the now very short aft end of the prop shaft. Hindsight would have had me get a large nut splitter and crack the sucker open but that was not to be. I really wanted to pull the shaft etc. and am eagarly looking forward to the contortions required to get the flange off the front end of the shaft.

RichFriend
[/img]
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Apparently, that nut was extremely secure, judging by the mutilitation applied to it by some former person.

At least it's off! You probably needed a new shaft anyway. (That's what we always say when things like this happen; it help to make one feel better.)

Have fun with the coupling! That's always a good time. Use some waterproof grease when you reassemble these things, and you'll have an easy time of disassembly the next time you need to do so.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

For what it's worth, the nuts were put on your shaft in the wrong order. the little (thin) nut should have been next to the prop.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us