Fastening wires.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Fastening wires.

Post by Dan H »

What is the best way to fasten wires to the inside of the boat. Some of the fiberglass inside the lockers has a very coarse texture. I was thinking about using the adhesive squares that you can lace a cable tie through. They seem to loose their grip sometimes and then they just end up hanging on the wires. Obviously, they don?t work on a course surface anyway. The only other thing I can think of is to epoxy small rectangles of plywood to the fiberglass and then use a cable clamp and a screw. What other ideas are there for clamping or otherwise restraining the wiring so it isn?t just laying on everything?
In addition, what is the requirement or rule of thumb for clamp spacing for wires? Is there a standard for this?
Thanks,
Dan
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

There is an ABYC standard for the spacing on wire supports. The standard calls for miminum 18" between supports. I usually find that I like supports a lot more frequently than that. I like the wiring to be very much out of the way and tightly secured everywhere.

The adhesive on the cable tie holders is really meant to hold the piece in place while you install a screw to hold it permanently. This works well if you're in a place where you can drive a screw. If you must run wires against the hull, with no other option, then epoxying small blocks to the hull seems required in order to hold any sort of cable clamp with a screw.

I rarely see a need to run a wire against the hull. There's usually a deck, or bulkhead, or other structure to which you can secure.

I use the adhesive backed cable tie holders, and they are useful for much of the work. I also use the rubber-lined stainless steel cable clamps, which are really nice, but cost a lot more.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

What I did was to

Post by dkall »

Cut out 3/4" wood small pyramide shapes with the top lopped off. Then I attached a wire saddle to the piece. I 5200 the piece to the hull. I could always chisel it off if need be. After it kicked I then put a wire tie through the saddle and viola, finished.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I used plastic cable tie holders with a #8 screw (3/8") just about everywhere (McMaster has 'em in a couple sizes). I don't trust the adhesive. Might last a couple months at best, but with the weight of wires and the bouncing-- no way.

If I can't find wood to screw into-- as dkall describes-- a small wood block with a dab of 5200 usually does the trick, although I use the wood to mount the cable tie holder.

For big cable runs needing more support, I used the rubber lined stainless cable clamps.