How Dangerous is it, really?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
PGplastic
Deck Grunge Scrubber

How Dangerous is it, really?

Post by PGplastic »

I'm referring to materials used in repair of fiberglass sailboats. Specifically, regarding grinding old anti-fouling bottom paint and gelcoat. You see, my boat has blisters, well more like pox. Too many small blisters to count. I elected not to use a chemical stripper for a variety of reasons, so I have been grinding it off. The botom paint must be at least 8 or 9 years old, but I don't know what type. It's a trailerable sailboat, so the paint would probably be one that would tolerate being out of the water for a length of time.

Anyway, I have used a polypro suit (looks like a tyvek suit, but more breathable). It's July in the south afterall. I'm using nitrile gloves, goggles, and a 3M respirator (the kind with the replacable cartidges). Each time I use the respirator, I check for leaks per the instructions, by lightly covering the intakes and inhaling, which creates negative pressure and insures a seal. So, last night I finished up some grinding and cleaned up as usual, including a shower. Later on in the night, I sneezed and could taste gelcoat (I think). But, I did't notice it while wearing the mask at all.

Of course, I'll change the filters on it. My question remains, is this anything to worry about? Or am I just a paranoid newby? How much can a body take injesting small amounts of gelcoat dust? I realize I need to be extra careful when using volatile chemicals like Acetone, MEK, and Tolulene etc. I hear epoxy can be stout stuff as well. It'll be used in the near future. What are the typical safety measures experienced fabricators use around such chemicals?

I'd like to still be sailing when I'm 80 (which means I need to be breathing, too). I look forward to your responses.

Paul
s/v Little Wing
Com-Pac 16
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, one should certainly not minimize the potential for personal harm that could be caused by the toxic materials used in our boats' construction, maintenance, and improvement. It pays to take the proper precautions, but despite all best efforts one is bound to ingest some amount of the bad stuff. One has to keep things in perspective--don't be cavalier about it, but at the same time there's no avoiding the exposure to some extent.

The body is pretty good at ridding itself of toxins, at least at reasonable levels. But obviously you don't want to breathe more of this stuff than need be. Using a good respirator with cartridges changed at the recommended interval is the best defense. None of the dust that you create in boatbuilding or repair is good for you--wood, fiberglass, paint...all of these dusts can and will be harmful in large enough dosages.

Styrene, which is the most noticeable component of polyester resins, including gelcoat, has a very distinct smell and taste. It's not at all unusual for this to linger even when you use a respirator. I don't know anything about how effective respirators actually are, but I doubt it's 100%, especially once the cartridges have some age.

In short: I wouldn't worry too much based on what you said. But only you can decide how much it bothers you! I'm not saying it's all AOK, but those of us who work routinely with fiberglass and related products have to deal with this daily. There are a lot of idiots who think they need no protection, but we all know better than that. I don't think the sort of limited exposure a hobbyest will have while owning and working on a boat will ever add up to a health risk. It's the constant exposure to any toxin that causes harm, typically.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

I agree with Tim that it's wise to take all reasonable precautions when using all of the various chemicals we use. The precautions you describe seem fine to me. I'd guess you're fine.

25 years ago, when I started fooling around with boats, most people, including me, would sand of bottom paint with little more than a paper mask. I can remember spitting blue, and I'm still here.

Disclaimers:

1)I'm not a Doc

2)While most agree that I'm still here, many have said I'm not all there
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

oy. When we were kids we'd look like tar-babies after the bottom job. Dad would give us a wipe-down with kerosene or gasoline or whatever solvent he could get his hands on before bringing us home just so mom didn't freak out.
Of course by the time we got home our skin was bright red and burning from the solvent, and we were blowing black snot for three days.

Good times.
PGplastic
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by PGplastic »

Thanks for the replies. I feel better knowing I'm taking reasonably good care. Hotter than Hades, that's OK. BTW, I've been vacuuming the dust up with a shop-vac equipped with a "dry wall" dust bag. That pretty much took care of the bottom paint debris. I've notice the paint dust seems a bit heavier than the gel-coat dust by settling on the ground somewhat sooner. Just an observation, but also reassures me that it's less likely in be inhaled down there.

Figment: I used to work with my Dad in the garage rebuilding Chevy 350 small block engines. Lots of gasoline rinses back in the day. Amazing what some us put our bodies through.;)

dmairspotter: LOL.
s/v Little Wing
Com-Pac 16