Battery Monitor Question??

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Battery Monitor Question??

Post by Maine Sail »

I'm going to add a battery monitor to my house bank and I'm confused. Xantrex makes a single bank monitor called the XBM $249.00 (WM price) and they also make the Link 10 $189.00 (WM price). From looking at the Xantrex web site it seems the only difference is that the XBM can be linked to a laptop by purchasing an additional interface. Should I buy the XBM or the Link 10? Is there more of a difference that I'm missing???
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The Jack Rabbit Marine site shows that the XBM is a replacement for the Link 10.

Here's an informational PDF: Xantrex XBM
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
westsail42
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by westsail42 »

We have had the Link 10 in our 28' sloop for a few years. It was then branded as a Heart Interface, but even so, originally made by Cruising Equipment Co of Seattle (I think). Only had one problem and that was when we increased our battery capacity, I was unable to reprogram the unit. Their support dept sent me an updated chip right away. I installed it and it has worked great since then.

Let me just say that having one of these is the one of the best things you can have to know about how well your charging system is working. We were shooting in the dark for quite a for a few years trying to optimize our charging system. We tried replacing regulators, replacing isolators with combiners, adding an echo charge, etc. It was not until we added the Link 10 that things really became clear. Since then, it has evolved from a small 30amp french made alternator (driven off an old Volvo MD7A) with an isolator to a 90amp Balmar (driven off a Yanmar 3GMF) with a smart regulator and echo charge for the starter battery. The charging system has been perfect ever since. After a night of moderate power consumption, batteries are usually topped off in about 1-2 hours of charging. Just about the time it takes from motoring away from an achorage to raising the sails.

We have the RS-232 option, but have never used it.

One thing that was nice about the link 10 is that it fits a standard 2" guage hole. We had an existing hole where an old hourmeter use to be so installation was a snap.

The interface is pretty easy and intuitive for the basic info you usually want (voltage, amps, amp-hours consumed, capacity left). Programming things like capacity, charge coefficients, etc is a little archaic, but then again you would only programs those occasionally.

Hope that helps.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:The Jack Rabbit Marine site shows that the XBM is a replacement for the Link 10.
I just got the 2006 West catalog, and they dedicated 1/4 page to the Link 10, with the XBM (Xantrex Battery Monitor) having its own 1/4 page right below it. So I assume that Xantrex is still going to be making both?

As an aside for the Link 10, a friend of mine has his hooked up to fully monitor his house bank, and has it also set up so that he can check his voltage on the starting bank (though it is advertised as only being able to monitor one bank.)
yes and no. there is a way to connect up the purple wire
(you'll see it's not hitched to anything now) so that it
can "monitor" the starting bank. but, "monitor" means
volts only. not entirely unuseful, as you can a.) see when
it's pretty much charged and b.) confirm that it's being
charged at all. the recommendation is to wire it with a
"momentary" switch such that it can't stay in the start
bank monitor mode and thus throw you off by thinking you
are looking at the house bank.

now, if i can only find those instructions... if i can't, i
belive i got them from jackrabit marine.
Anyhow. I haven't tested this so I don't know how well it works, or if it'll void your warrenty etc etc etc... fwiw.
Maine Sail

Thanks guys..

Post by Maine Sail »

I ordered the XBM after talking with the guys at Jackrabbit. They said they both basically did the same thing but the new XBM is an LCD screen and the Link 10 an LED. If you are going to leave in on all the time the XBM draws far less current. The other nice feature is that it has a "fuel guage" on top of all the other features so you can tell at a glance your state of charge.

The kit I ordered comes with the XBM diaplay, the shunt, 25 feet of 4 twisted pair hook up wire and an 18" negative battery cable jumper. Jackrabbit charged me $250.00 and gave me free shipping. West Marine sells the XBM and shunt for $250.00 without the other cables. If it warms up to at least 20 degrees I'll brave the cold and begin the installation. I'll let you know how it works. The guys at Jackrabbit were great!!

-Rodd
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
Maine Sail

Wow the service fro Jackrabbit is great!!

Post by Maine Sail »

I ordered the XBM system yesterday the 27th at 10:00 a.m. & I just got home today the 28th and it's sitting on my door step. They shipped the product ground with no shipping charge the same day I placed the order and it got here from CT in one day!! I'll buy from Jackrabbit again in a heart beat!!
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME