Seacocks

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
DavidL
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Seacocks

Post by DavidL »

I have a question regarding these two seacocks for my cockpit drains on my 1969 Bristol 29. They don't have a handle. I thought I have seen Spartan Marine seacocks without handles and I believe they sell handles. Could they be Spartans? Do I need one of their handles to open and close the valvle? Do they look in okay condition? Not sure what shape they should be in. I've read that you should obviously be able to open and close them and periodically service them. Not sure how exactly to service them where they are in hard to reach locations. The one on the starboard side (second photo) seems thru bolted, the port side one doesn't seem to be. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Those are indeed Spartan seacocks. You can use a wrench to open or close them, but I'd suggest the specific Spartan handles that are available through Spartan Marine's website: www.spartanmarine.com

If these haven't been operated for a while (and probably haven't, since there are no handles), approach them carefully and don't force the barrels. They may be (probably are) frozen in place. Fortunately, these barrel-type seacocks are easily serviced and can be disassembled in place. (You don't need to remove them from the hull). Undoing those nuts on the opposite side of the handle should allow the whole barrel to be slid out, after which it can be cleaned and regreased. If you go to the Cape Dory Board (www.capedory.org/board) and do a search, you'll find a number of posts that describe the servicing process in some detail.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

You guys are probably tired of hearing this, but .... a liberal dose of Tabasco Sauce, left to soak overnight, will often free-up frozen bronze parts. It's worked for me on serveral (but not all) occasions.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Peter,

Perhaps it's a Canadian thing - the first time I got that tip was from a dock-mate in Brentwood Bay (B.C.), who'd used it in the Navy. Works, too! :-)

--- R.
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

I tried it too....

Post by dkall »

I tried it too on Al and SS to no avail. All it did was add some red tint to the mast. :( Of course, penetrating oil didn't work either.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Rachel wrote:Perhaps it's a Canadian thing - the first time I got that tip was from a dock-mate in Brentwood Bay (B.C.), who'd used it in the Navy. Works, too! :-)
I too got it from a retired Canadian Navy guy. Maybe that's how they keep the fleet running ;-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca