Sneak Peek

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Sneak Peek

Post by Tim »

Lacking any other accurate way to determine a true waterline on the Daysailor, this morning I had her trucked to the launching ramp for a quick launching so that I could mark the actual waterline on the hull. Thanks to Steve Morse for hauling the boat for me, and Nathan Sanborn for his help.

You'll note that, with no deck hardware on the boat, I had to tie a stern line with a bowline through the rudder tube and around the side of the boat.

I'm extremely pleased to report that the boat floated visually level, with no obvious need for significant trimming. Some additional weight (mast, rigging, and cockpit completion) remains to be added, so she may settle just slightly deeper in the water when all is said and done. I did leave my tools and such in the cabin over the mast step as a partial simulation of the mast's weight.

I'm also pleased to report that the boat is significantly lighter than before, and floats about 2-3" higher than the original waterline scribe mark at both ends. She should be a blast to sail. Finally, the true beauty of Alberg's counter is visible here; typically, the boats sit so much lower than the drawings show that the nice counter is substantially reduced.

With the boat floating free of the trailer, I marked the bow and stern waterlines with a sharpie marker taped to the end of a long stick. It worked extremely well. When complete, Steve hauled the boat back to the shop as if nothing had happened.

Now I can mark and paint the waterline and boottop, and really make the boat look more finished.

Here are a few pictures of the very incomplete boat in the water. Look for more details and additional photos in next Sunday's Daysailor log.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Fine work, Tim. What an incredible job.

The monochromatic hull and deck and the absence of hardware really highlight the Triton's lines. The removal of the coachroof creates a far more elegant profile. I've viewed your daysailor site with interest for a while, but these photos are breathtaking. You're right, that boat will be nice to sail.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Wicked pissah! Far Out. Way cool!

All that freeboard! What a site. This has to me one of the most novel boatbuilding/restoration projects ever done!

I hope I get to sail in her sometime. I'll bring the Dark n' Stormies and a fresh breeze!

Cheers,
Clint
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

Tim,
Great boat. Looks alot like the Sabre at the waterline. All that overhang. You can hire it out for dance parties with all that cockpit space. It'll be a ball to sail.
Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

I really like the ambiance, too. A foggy morning, real cloak and dagger stuff; I mean, you didn't want the whole world to see the boat yet, did you?

I especially appreciate the preview, as I will be out of town (camping in the mountains!) with the family all next week, and I won't be back until your next update. She looks truly fine!
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Lovely job.

Post by grampianman »

Thanks for letting us in on the fun. She's a lovely looking boat and I can only imagine what the final result will be.

Cheers,
Ian
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

SWEET! Must be nice to have a friend who has the equipment to take you down and dump you in for a look and haul you home. Good on ya!
Class act!