What color? what name? what kind of sails?

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Jon 0n TAHANI

What color? what name? what kind of sails?

Post by Jon 0n TAHANI »

Tim,
Have you thought about any of that stuff yet?
Just imagine a nice set of UK Kevlar Sails?
This Triton will be the fastest Triton in the world, eh?
I wonder what the mods will do to the PHRF rating?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, I can answer part of your question!

Name: I don't have any idea yet. I think the name is something that will make itself apparent as the boat takes shape, and takes on its ultimate personality (boat-ality?). At the moment, she's named Sea Witch--not a bad name in and of itself, but somewhat common and probably not a name that will remain on the transom.

Color: The boat seemed to call out for Claret Red. It's a color you don't see every day, but, done correctly, is a real standout--especially with lots of varnished mahogany on deck.

Sails: Boy, you're really getting ahead of me here! Such niceties as sails seem like they're so far down the road. Since I picture this as a "gentleman's daysailor", I personally am not planning any high-tech canvas, and am not creating the boat with racing in mind. That said, there'd be nothing wrong with someone sailing the boat in the local PHRF fleet, if that's what they're interested in. She should be a fine sailing boat. I think some high-end Dacron sails will find their way onto the spar.

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

And speaking of style, Tim and I are working on a little something special for this boat. Just trying to pique your interest--its still a secret!

**wink**
Tim

Post by Tim »

Indeed it is a secret! But we like to keep our dear readers interested and intrigued...so you'll all just have to keep watching.

Forever.

"You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave."
--The Eagles, Hotel California

Tim
Jon 0n TAHANI

ok with red in mind

Post by Jon 0n TAHANI »

by the way I was thinking the same, A Red will look great.
I think "SCARLET" would be a fine name.
Jon 0n TAHANI

Darn

Post by Jon 0n TAHANI »

Darn still a bottom sanding grunt!!!
When will it end? oh woh is me.................................
sailorsteve

Red sounds beautiful

Post by sailorsteve »

Are you going with the red? As I have built a boat myself, I feel I must tread very lightly on giving opinions on someone else's handywork- nothing got me madder then all the 'good advice' from folks who never lifted a finger- so that being said, Red sounds great to me. A boat here in Clear Lake Texas just got a coat of 'apple red'. The owner had it mixed, they took a regular red, and dumped a little black in it and I must say- it is the prettiest red boat I have ever seen. It really offsets the wood.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

He used "Snow White."

Pictures on his daysailor site: here
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Tim, I couldn't agree more that the Claret and varnished maghogany are a special match. Excellent choice.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Tim

Post by Tim »

heartofgold wrote:Tim, I couldn't agree more that the Claret and varnished maghogany are a special match. Excellent choice.
This is an ancient thread, dating back almost two years to the original question. Much has changed.

The boat is now painted white, and will not be claret. I like claret, but there's no in between on the color: many people do not like it at all. It elicits strong disapproval from some. I can't have that here.

Remember, this is not a personal boat for me, but will be available for sale when complete. The idea here is classic, clean looks with universal appeal. Occasionally, white is the right choice, despite my own love of dark hulls. She'll be sharp. Judge not till you see the final product.

Later, when I determine a waterline level, I'll add a boottop. Current leader for boottop color is dark green, but flag blue is still a contender.

Much more varnished mahogany trim to come. This boat is far from complete, so hang in there, everyone.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating