Renegade #88 Deck refit (Fall 2019- ???)

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Old Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Renegade #88 Deck refit (Fall 2019- ???)

Post by JFryer »

I wanted to post some pictures and get some feedback on foredeck fitting locations for my deck rehab. What started out as a Toe rail replacement project during the fall/winter 19-20 turned into a, replace forward hatch, new solar vents, Deck strip and repaint/Hull touchup, and conversion of the starboard settee to a dinette.
Right now, I have competed most of the paintwork and am reinstalling the hardware on the bow. The big change is I have removed the large anchor platform the previous owner had installed...
old anchor platform resized.JPG
old anchor platform resized.JPG (33.07 KiB) Viewed 992 times
[/
The old platform was constructed of laminated mahogany, had some rot, and I was never thrilled with the look one the boat. Plus, the way the platform was mounted you almost had to destroy it to rebed it, and there was no reinforcement under the deck. The Anchor will now be mounted to a Garhauer AR-30 Bow roller. there will be 2 10" cleats for dock lines and a mooring bit. I plan on reinforcing the mooring bit with 1/2 fiberglass plate (on hand) attached to the deck underside and the anchor locker bulkhead.

More in the next post.
Attachments
Bollard renforcement  glueup resized.JPG
Bollard renforcement glueup resized.JPG (71.08 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Bollard parts clean resize.JPG
Bollard parts clean resize.JPG (75.23 KiB) Viewed 992 times
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Re: Renegade #88 Deck refit (Fall 2019- ???)

Post by JFryer »

The thinking behind the mooring bit reinforcements has to do with where I occasionally keep the boat. On one of the finger lakes in NY. The mooring location has, depending on direction 10 to 20 miles of fetch so can get rather rough on a windy day.
This is my first choice for cleat and mooring bit layout.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3836
The other option.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3835

And my first choice with lines added.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3834
and last just a head on shot of the new Toe rails.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3833&sid ... f0b1862580
Attachments
Primary deck layout resized.JPG
Primary deck layout resized.JPG (55.4 KiB) Viewed 991 times
secondary deck layout resized.JPG
secondary deck layout resized.JPG (59.85 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Deck layout with lines resized.jpg
Deck layout with lines resized.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 991 times
ToeRail 2 resized.jpg
ToeRail 2 resized.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 991 times
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Congratulations on a fine looking boat. I'm curious what you used for deck paint and how it was applied and if you were happy with the choice.

Either layout could work but I have a slight preference for the cleats in the outboard position since it gives you less obstructed footing. I like the bollard although you'll need to take care the sheets don't hang up on a gybe or tack.
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by JFryer »

Thanks, the deck paint is Total boat wet edge with Kiki grip. Applied with a 1/8" notched spreader and then lightly rolled with the special roller. This produces a very fine texture more like a traditional paint with a nonskid additive. I went this route after applying Kiwi grip to the cockpit the suggested way using a brush and then roller. This produced a much to aggressive pattern that was almost uncomfortable to walk on, and very hard to keep clean. The original plan was to use Perfection. but after digging through my records, I found the boat had last been painted with Brightside (You can still see some of the picture on the old Renegade website wayback machine). I was concerned about compatibility as I only repainted back to the cockpit, as that area was still in very good shape. As for the sheets on a tack, we will find out. The boat still uses hank on foresails. Normally with this boat if the sheets are going to hang up on anything it was the old fiberglass hatch. I'm hoping that the new Bomar solves that issue.
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by JFryer »

Older picture on the lake in NY.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3854
Attachments
on the lake resize.jpg
pmnfernando
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Katie J
Boat Type: Van de Stadt Pioneer 9

Post by pmnfernando »

hi

nice looking boat!!
about the cleats i would place them as aft as possible, to avoid having to go to the very nose of the boat to undo the lines.
having them aft (depending on deck layout and eventual obstacles) may enable them for a dual function.

i would be interested in seeing more photos of your dodger, ive been toying with ideas and designs for quite some months now, and im collecting as much references i can.
my plan is to build a hard dodger but i need to get the shape right, even if i loose some of its functionality.
your dodger has the feel im looking after, its rounded.

cheers and keep up!!
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

That's a good point about the cleats. You might move them a foot or so aft. I wouldn't go much more than that though because they more easily catch loose jib sheets.
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by JFryer »

Pmnfernando I'll post some more detailed pictures of the dodger when I get a chance. The dodger is from Island nautical canvas. Overall, I like the design and the shape, but there a few things that cause problems on my boat. The biggest issue is the way the canvas covers the cockpit combing. On the renegade the combing returns come to a point right at ankle height. Before the dodger the was never a problem as you just stepped over the combing. now with the dodger installed the space between the lifelines and the house is narrowed by the dodger and my wife keeps hitting that corner with her ankle. needless to say, when the dodger is up, she no longer goes forward. The other thing that I would change is how the bows mount. As designed the bows mount to the combing boards. I think it would work better if the bows mounted to the cabin top or sides. On a bigger boat or one with wide side decks none of this would be an issue. On a 27-footer with an 8.7" beam it can be.

On the issue of cleat placement, I think I will move them back some. I can move them back about 6" and still keep them within the bow pulpit. This will definitely improve the foot room forward of the bollard.
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

if ive understood correctly, in your boat, the way the canvas attaches to the coamings created an obstacle for getting in or out of the cockpit.
In my case i kinda antecipated that issue but depending on how i will design the hard bimini i can foresee some conflicts arising higher up, meaning that one will be needing to duck a bit low to return to the cockpit.

ive opted to have 2 separate entities (dodger and bimini) because i think this solution its the least impacting one when it comes to maintaining the aesthetics of the boat, less maintenance going forward, and providing an ideal substrate for solar panels. But this entails more engineering and work to create sturdy structures and also a flexible way (canvas work) to connect both for either winter or mosquitos (if one wants to keep the cockpit as an option for lounging, which on a 29 footer i think that must be considered since the real estate below decks aint that much....)

about the cleats: indeed the more aft you place them, the more potential for snagging the jib sheets. im going to take a chance and put mine just at the fwd hatch, which will enable me to undo them from the interior of the boat. having them so far back also improves the springing arm to get off the dock and having the lines on a slip and so much closer will, i hope, make for smoother departures (so long the line floats and doesnt foul the prop there is time to deal with that after springing)

any photos will be appreciated, thanks!!
JFryer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by JFryer »

Yes, that is exactly the problem. When I bought the Dodger, my main concern was to shield the hatch from rain and spray. Not so much the people in the cockpit. Most of my sailing is in warm weather so getting a little wet was not a big deal. To help with the problem I am adding a version of the Sailrite handholds to my dodger. Also, when the time comes to replace the dodger, I will build something like what is shown on the Atom voyager Osprey video. Note in the last 2 pictures you can see how you lose about 5" of step thru space with the dodger installed. Also, the dodger isn't fully snapped down, that's what makes it look loose.
Attachments
View forward.jpg
dodger mount.jpg
Dodger space.jpg
sidedeck space.jpg
pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

awesome stuff!!