Alberg 30 cabin floorboards

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Alberg 30 cabin floorboards

Post by vanguard64 »

I would like to secure my 4 cabin floorboards and need suggestions on the best hardware and method to use. My A30 is a MK2 so it has the fiberglass liner and the boards are simply held by gravity over the floor pans. The one at the aft end covers 2 batteries.
Thanks
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Alberg 30 cabin floorboards

Post by atomvoyager »

You can see how I've done it near the end of the following video using a metal plate at one end and a latch at the other. With your liner you may have to modify the wood and fiberglass to accept the latch. Another simple and cheap method instead of the latch if you find that doesn't work in your situation is to use a metal plate that swivels on one thru-bolt so that you turn it to hold down the access board and turn it the other way to open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcLT_S9489E
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

The latches look great! How did you cut the top of the boards to accept the latches. Did you use a chisel or router? The boards on mine are made of plywood.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I used a router then a chisel to square up the corners. An oscillating cutting tools can work instead of the chisel but I find it hard to control accurately in corners.