Where to mount bow cleats

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
OverTheReef
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Affinity
Boat Type: Bristol 26

Where to mount bow cleats

Post by OverTheReef »

We've owned this Bristol 26 for about a year now. I'd like to mount two cleats on the bow so I can add a second mooring pendant. The single cleat is aluminum and doesn't have enough room for the loop on my pendant to pass through.

I'm wondering where the best place to mount these cleats are, or if there are any other options. What are those bronze rings for? I was thinking about mounting the cleats there, but they might get in the way of the anchor rode. I'd rather not go drilling and mounting things if they'll get in the way later. (I already removed that oddly angled anchor roller a couple days ago)

Thanks,
Joe
Joe
1970 Bristol (Sailstar) 26
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Where to mount bow cleats

Post by svMira »

On one boat, I just bought a second cleat and reused the same mounting holes (for the inboard two holes of each cleat) putting the cleats beside each other. I built up the backing below to account for the wider load area. They were a little close to each other, but it worked.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Two cleats close together might work best or just replace it with a single 10" cleat that has space for more than one line. The bronze pad eyes might be for lashing something down such as an anchor or sail bag.
OverTheReef
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Affinity
Boat Type: Bristol 26

Post by OverTheReef »

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with 2 cleats close together and see how that works.
Joe
1970 Bristol (Sailstar) 26