Galley stove

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Galley stove

Post by vanguard64 »

On my Alberg30 I presently have the original 2 burner Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove. I keep it well maintained and it has worked well for me at a quiet anchor or in a slip. However, I would like to have a stove with gimbals and the added security of pot-holders. My thoughts were to replace the Kenyon with either a 1 burner Origo 1500 on gimbals on top of the countertop as installed by atom voyager or increase the size of the cutout of the present stove and mount a 2 burner Origo 3000 with gimbals tucked partially inside the countertop. Little did I know that Origo stoves are no longer made and have become scarce. Are there any other thoughts?
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Galley stove

Post by markwesti »

Origo , no longer made ? We have a Origo 3ooo that we bought in the mid 90's a few years ago the little spot welds started to break , no big deal I just drilled them out and nut and bolted it back together . I also built a simple gimble for it , I can post some pictures if you want . It was easy to make , I used 1/8 X 1. stainless strap , bolted up a "up side down T" that bolted to the side of stove and made a upright that bolted the opening for the stove to fit in , the gimble part was a hole at the top of the T and the upright with a bolt going through . But we do not cook at sea so off it came and the stove got screwed down .
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

Not quite the full answer to your question, but I've picked up one of these Jetboil Gymbals.
https://www.safire.uk.com/store/Stable- ... -p25243476
I have yet to install or use it. So I can't comment yet. I wanted the ability to make tea and have hot water for at least those re-hydrate type meals. I ordered a second mount bracket, so I will be able to take it out and mount it in the cockpit as well. We'll see how it works out this summer.
I have tested the stove and it is really quick and the whole thing is quite contained, which is nice. Not to mention that it doesn't take up any counter space. I expect I'll mount the bracket on the aft cabin bulkhead. Not sure where the outside one will go yet.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

That Jetboil stove looks very interesting. It sort of reminds me of the ones Forespar used to offer. As you said, it offers enough space for heating up a soup or boiling water for tea/coffee. Is the gas propane or butane. Are those canisters readily available? I would think they would be best stored outside in a container to prevent potential leakage of gas.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Jetboil is popular with backpackers and some weekend cruisers or small boat racers but it has some limitations if you are not just boiling water. If you are not cooking in a bag or doing a quick boil I heard it does not do low heat simmer well on things like rice or stews, but I haven't tried it and others seem to get by. Not sure how available the canisters are. You can try it out and see if it suits your cooking needs. Or you can sometimes find a used Origo on Ebay as well as new optional potholders and gimbal brackets. Pricey though. I have some new and used 1500 stoves in stock so if you don't find on ebay you can send me a Private Message or email.

Here's a gimbal for a jetboil. Maybe you can buy or build one:

http://safirewaterjet.co.uk/the-stable- ... tove.html/