Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV Clio

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV Clio

Post by Crazer »

After a false start with my last project I lucked into a good deal on a 1962 Rhodes Swiftsure 33. She is named Clio, hull number 96, and she was built by G. Devries Lentch in Amsterdam. These boats and a few others, including the first Rhodes Meridians, we imported by Seafarer Yachts before Seafarer briefly took over production in the late 60s. The quality of construction and level of finish is very high. There's a lot to do before she's a comfortable and elegant voyaging boat again but she's in sound condition and I've enjoyed a couple of all too brief sails this summer.
Attachments
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
IMG_1496.jpeg
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV Clio

Post by svMira »

Dark topsides! Looks like a really nice starting place a real looker.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Thanks Marvin. I want to repaint her, something similar to Loon but blue instead of green. I've got a few projects going this winter that I'll share once there's something to show. Right now I'm working on the head, I've got a blank slate for installing a new holding tank and head, I have all the materials, just need some time to start knocking things out.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
rescuesailor02
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Christina Louise
Boat Type: Truenorth 34

Post by rescuesailor02 »

Very good looking lines on that boat. Despite all the critics against dark colors on the topsides I think she will look good in blue. We painted our boat burgundy and I love it!
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Charlie Jones has a Meridian; I'm sure he'd love to see your Swiftsure up close. She is a beauty for sure. Do all of them have the centerboard?
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Hi Kurt, yes they were all built with centerboards. This was the only production keel centerboarder Rhodes designed, although he drew many beautiful one-offs of similar concept. The construction of the centerboard mechanism on this boat is bulletproof, a huge improvement over my old Pearson Wanderer.

I love the burgundy on Christina Louise, rescuesailor. I want to paint my Swiftsure a blue like on this beautiful Hinckley.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio