Whisker pole arrangement for Alberg30

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Whisker pole arrangement for Alberg30

Post by vanguard64 »

Good afternoon,
My upcoming project is to install a proper whisker pole on my Alberg 30. Presently, my mast has the original 1 inch aluminum T-Track on the leading edge that should accommodate a sliding car with the ring for the whisker pole. I am planning on purchasing a Forespar HD 7-15ft telescoping pole. I have reviewed James Baldwin's video taken aboard a similar boat on a shakedown cruise and gained some valuable insight. However, I do have some questions.
1. Storage of pole. Mast vs deck chocks?
2. I don't have a topping lift for the pole. I do have a spinnaker halyard. Can I use the halyard to take weight off the pole or would that create more chafe on the halyard at top. If I do have to add a topping lift mid mast, what type of tackle should I use?
3. Do I need a bridle on the pole or can the topping/lift attach to the outer end of the pole?

Thanks for your input,
Marcelo
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Whisker pole arrangement for Alberg30

Post by atomvoyager »

Here's a couple links that can answer most of your questions:

https://www.forespar.com/pdf/F6.1-whisk ... ochure.pdf

https://www.forespar.com/whisker-poles.shtml

You can see on the top left of the page that a twist-lock telescoping pole is only rated for up a 25' boat with genoa in heavy air and up to 28' in light to moderate air. You can try it but you'll have to be careful not to break it. The correct size pole for the A30 is the Line Control LC 10-18.

I prefer to stow my pole on the mast where it is out of the way and easy to deploy. If not sure which pole you will use long term or if you don't like the extra weight/windage on the mast you could put chocks on deck or probably better to keep it more out of the way using lifeline stanchion brackets. The manufacturer might not recommend a ring on the mast for mast storage option but I use rings without any problem but you do have to be cautious that you don't put a unfair load on the end fitting during hoisting or lowering to deploy the pole.

You can try using the spinn halyard for a topping lift temporarily but if you have a furler make sure you don't foul it on the during roll up. Best to install a 5/16" pole topping lift and block on an eyestrap just below the spreaders.

A bridle is for fixed length poles. You attach the topping lift to the outboard end of the outer pole. You can read more about that in the link above.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Re: Whisker pole arrangement for Alberg30

Post by vanguard64 »

James,
Thanks for all the clarifications and the links. I have a much better understanding now after having read the material and your explanations.
Marcelo