Islander 36, shoal draft version.

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
CapnK
Site Admin

Islander 36, shoal draft version.

Post by CapnK »

This is the boat I've lived on the past 2 years. I plan to sell her this spring, but have some work to do to her to get her ready for market that I will document here. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Islander 36, shoal draft version.

Post by CapnK »

Overhead replacement. Been back and forth in my brainspace about how to tackle this. I ripped down the old, original foam(powder)-backed vinyl several years ago and painted the bare glass behind it white, in the meanwhile. Chose this solution below as it seems both affordable and not too much of a stretch to accomplish, given my (non)carpentry skills.

In short, capping over the 1/4" battens that were original, with some 1x2", onto which I am fastening 1x4" boards which will eventually get sanded smooth and painted.
The 1x2" caps allow for 1) clearance between overhead and thru-deck fasteners, and 2) space in which to insert panels of foam/radiant barrier insulation.
Another reason for this method is that individual boards will be removable for maintenance down the road as/when needed, and also wiring for lighting etc can be run easily, and out of sight.

So far WRT materials there's a couple dozen 1x4's, eight of the 1x2's, and 3 sheets of 3/4x48x96" insulation, all of which should do more than half the job. That's ~$135 spent, so in the end it should be near $250 I think, a pretty reasonable cost.
Attachments
DSCF3034_web.jpg
DSCF3035_web.jpg
DSCF3036_web.jpg
DSCF3037_web.jpg
DSCF3038_web.jpg
DSCF3039_web.jpg
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

pmnfernando
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Katie J
Boat Type: Van de Stadt Pioneer 9

Post by pmnfernando »

thats pretty much a 2 inch decrease on your headroom, isnt it?

for insulation i would've get some interlocking puzzle floor mat for kids, which is 3/4 thick, glue that up with some contact cement to keep some flexibility, pre routed the small wiring channels and covered everything with a decent tongue and groove planking, 1/4 thick.

to my mind, there is need to go crazy expensive on the wood specially if you put in a bit more work to fill imperfections, maybe fill out some knots and then painting over it. total thickness of around 1 inch,
you wouldnt need to screw every single one the tongue and grove, maybe every other plank, and you would have keep access to the wiring.

i dont live in the US so wouldnt know prices, but, perhaps 300US wouls do the trick?!, i really dont know
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

All good thoughts, thanks! :)

Just measured - it uses just a lil bit over 1.5" ( 1 & 5/8th of an inch, to be exact). In America, 1" thick wood is really only 3/4" thick. Wonky, that. Maybe it's because of inflation. ;) Headroom amidships in the I-36 is 75", and I'm 68"-ish, so I even have room to install an overhead handhold rail and not have to worry about bumping it with my hard noggin.

One of the ways I considered doing it is almost exactly like you suggest but materials would have been 2X to 10X or more ( :shock: ) expensive that way. I'm using the cheapest wood you can get (construction grade white pine, sub-US$3 per 8' plank), and the XPS foam panel is right at the cost of a 4-pack of the interlocking foam pads, so I get 2X as much material (32 sq ft vs 16) for the same cost - plus it has a radiant heat barrier. Being so light it can just 'float' behind the wood, taken out as needed, in roughly 2' sq panels

I'm guesstimating the end cost, as I have enough material for main salon, head, and into the v-berth a bit. That leaves under the side decks and foredeck still to be covered. I may go a different, simpler route there, as they are not nearly as visible.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

things are expensive in the US1

the whole lumber thing is a denomination by the sawmills, 1 inch is in fact 3/4 nominal , to have a 1 inch nominal you would have to ask for a 1 1/4 inch thick and so on, if memory serves. i dont really remember why is that but i would venture it is related to waste upon cutting, so its kinda like a pre-induced inflation heheh, but i might be wrong and the reason might be related to cutting jigs, making it easier to just cut at those thicknesses.

that thickness is alright, i guess the photos makes it worse than it really is.

you mentioned putting up the lady for sale, liveabord upgrading in the horizon?!
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Been trying to sell, nobody is buying it seems. Lots of interest, I had low prices, but - no follow through. :cry:

Like my A-30. Standard boat no major mods, good working diesel, nothing fancy but all there, solid bones on which to build, you know?

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/97503
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ugSVCyiWA

Was honest, told/showed lookers the 2 places on deck where it is creaky, said she needed a bottom job (clean and paint), offered her to them for $5K - no luck.
Some know-it-alls from YouTube or wherever who have never even seen it telling them that was too much... yet I'd bet the same people would pay $30k for a 20 yr old Beneteau... SMH. :roll:

I-36 I was asking $10K, would have taken a bit less. Not a whole lot less, tho - why give it away? I cannot afford to do that. Smarter to keep it, work it up, hope the economy turns around and buyers, real ones, come back. By then, though, I may just say ta heck with it, too much time + money invested, unless someone wants to pay what it's worth. They won't - they think they can get a free bluewater ready cruiser for pennies. The internets told them so...

Meanwhile, Katie languishes. Too cold for glass work at the dock. Maybe I can find a young Me to give her a home and the restart she deserves.

If I seem grumpy about it, that's because I am - just right now, though, when I think about it.

What will be, will be.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

pmnfernando

Post by pmnfernando »

to my view, the majority of people on the planet are just dumb. not that they dont want the same things: peace, a roof, health, kids doing alright,etc. this doesnt mean they arent dumb.

ive checked your link. i think you should bump the price for 10k, in order to get those 7500. the boat seems to be in good condition, yes it has age/use issues. who doesnt! yes,old/no electronics, hence, also, the lower price.
having low prices scares people away, because they will not recognize a deal when they see one, rather having the feeling that the boat isnt even worth that (again, they are dumb)(and boat uneducated)

or you could get prices for a new set of electronics and jam that into the selling price, advertising for new 2023 electronics! have the new owners install it, because installing takes time, money, and for them might be a learning experience. this way you always make the money spent on the new electronics, and still have space to lower the total to 7500 without loosing money and giving the appeance of a great deal...... with new toys!

the boat seems at a great starting point for either something like im doing with mine, or just some minor work to keep her going as a daily/weekender around the home waters.

if you can hold on to it, post covid people are ditching "their newfound, boat-shaped, life philosophy" (again dumb, firstly because they look at YT and think life at sea is easy, secondly, because they arent willing to put their backs onto it) (the good thing is that we will have fewer dumb people at sea) but unfortunately it creates a buyers market, everyone so keen on letting it go.....

always rant away, better out than in!