Alpa 11.50

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
CapnK
Site Admin

Alpa 11.50

Post by CapnK »

This boat *might* become mine. It was abandoned here at my marina a year ago and I'm in the process of taking ownership. If I can, and can get her Documented, then this is likely my long-term boat. Alpas have a great reputation in the Med, though are relatively unknown here in the USA. Even though I prefer an Albergian-style full keel classic, I have to admit that she has a nice layout both above and belowdecks, and her lines are eye-catching as well. Looking the 11.50 up on Sailcalc, the numbers suggest that she would be a good seagoing boat.
alpa_1150_drawing.jpg
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Alpa 11.50

Post by CapnK »

Here are a couple of pics of her as she sits, more to come soon...

I've begun the 'adoption' paperwork. I've actually grown to like her lines somewhat, although I do wish she had an Alberg keel. :) Save some draft that way, maybe a foot even... Still, for her size/length she is low-slung, barely any 'taller' over her waterline than my A-30 (see graphic for a comparison, not exact, but very close).
Not very well known here in the States (I'd never heard of them...), Alpa yachts are highly regarded in the Med. The 11.50 was named as one of the "Classic 50 of All Time" by the Italian equivalent of Cruising World / Sail, and elsewhere I've seen them called "the Rolls Royce of sailboats" and similar. :) lol
I can tell that the owners love them, there is a large FB group and they are passionate about their boats, of every size.
Attachments
DSC00475_web1.jpg
DSC00470_web1.jpg
DSC00474_web1.jpg
Alb-vs-Alp_web.jpg
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Post by pjesus »

Looks real nice, especially if the true blue shade is the darker one instead of the brighter one in the first pic.
I sail the Med quite often and must confess I've never heard of Alpas. Although to be honest the sailing I do in the Med is race-oriented and doesn't leave me much time for strolling around the boats...
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

The darker blue is more accurate. But I am with Nate H on what he said about colored hulls on sailboats:

"There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black." lol :D

Alpas were in production from the late 50's until 1979. Maybe they are more of an eastern Med boat, centered on Italy as their 'native' country? They had a bunch of models, from small dinghies they started with up to 40'ish in size towards the end of their run. I'll put some links below. The company name exists today, but with no affiliation; modern Alpa's are all power boats.

At any rate, she's grown on me, and from what I can tell she is put together very solidly, on par with if not maybe a little better than what I have seen from pretty much any other yards, circa 60's/70. Hopefully I'll be able to sail her before too long and see how it goes.

One thing I've noticed is how far aft the helm is in the cockpit, out there back at the very end of the boat. Maybe that is good for around the cans, but I think for long term cruising comfort converting to a tiller might be better. (Yes, I do have a tiller bias. :) ) But there is a fitting for a tiller just forward of the wheel and the traveler, which if used would be leaving the space aft available for stowage and etc.. It'd make a good area for solar panels that aren't shaded by anything, even with a vane on the transom.
Going to a tiller would also make it easier for the helmsman to grind a winch when needed; many of the 11.50 owners I know of have mounted an extra pair of winches aft. so as to be able to easily reach them from the helm. I think moving the helm position forward might be a better solution, due to access, less motion, a bit of protection from the house/dodger, etc...

Anyway, just some thoughts. Thanks for the input!

https://www.alpahistorical.org <- Open in Chrome and it'll translate the site for you.

http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=124 <- All of Alpa's sailboats.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4220 <- The 11.50 in particular
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Post by pjesus »

CapnK wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm"There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black." lol
:lol:

As for the tiller, it makes sense, I'm also a big fan of tillers, although personally I prefer to have the traveler forward of the tiller so I can steer with the rear hand (right hand if on a port tack) and trim the main with the forward hand (left hand if on a port tack)

The boat does look better every time you look at it :)
OldCreek
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by OldCreek »

She looks like a big boat for sure!

I think she’d look great with a tiller. That wheel is a bit intrusive!

Wil
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Uh-oh... :shock:

Project list just got longer, and a bit more technical. (Gee - How often does that happen? ;) )
P1030430_web.JPG
P1030433_web.JPG
P1030427_web.JPG
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

I've come to realize I simply have too much going on to take on all the work involved with the Alpa. May have found someone local to adopt her - sure would like to see her stay away from the crushers...
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Kurt

Have you reconsidered which of your other two boats you want to keep? I think your plan was to keep the Ariel and sell the A30?
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Right now, I'm in a holding pattern with the A-30. I was thinking I would keep her instead mostly because she is USCG Documented (whereas the Ariel is not), which helps a lot when traveling, especially internationally.
I know that like all Albergs I've been on she sails well and don't have any real objection to her except the inboard, because of the limits that puts on making good use of what interior volume is there inside these good ol' narrow hulls. :)

But I've since found out that I can*** get the Ariel Documented - so I am in the process of that, and proceeding to build her out to my 'ideal'. Once done with that - or close enough - I'll take her for a long trip or two and see how it works out. I lived on her for 8 years before, so I know her size isn't much an issue - but that was also dockside, where I could have some storage up on shore.

If I find out that she is just too small for full-time liveaboard/travel/offshore work, I'll look to a larger boat - probably an A-30, but one with no engine, or one that needs removal, and then switch it to either an outboard or perhaps even electric (if I hit a lotto, for instance... ;) ).

So if/when the Ariel Documentation comes through, I'll put the A-30 up for sale. Until then, she's my 'ace in the hole'. Otherwise, I'd like to put the money I could get selling her into a travel kitty, turning it into clearance fees for foreign ports and far-away warm beaches. :)

---

***I'd always read/heard that in order to get a boat Documented, you had to prove a chain of ownership back to the point in time the boat was built. While this is apparently true for vessels engaged in commerce, it does not hold for those Documented for purely Recreational purposes. For these boats, you simply have to prove that you hold clear Title, and that the boat meets the 5 Net Gross Tonnage requirement.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422