DIY MOB Pole

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Squidd
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Lazy Lady
Boat Type: Paceship PY26

DIY MOB Pole

Post by Squidd »

First a disclaimer..."This in NOT a IYRU and Transpac YC approved device, but never was intended for Ocean Racing type conditions...Doubt it would be of much use in 10'-15' waves and 30-40 knot winds...and has no strobe or EPIRB attached"...

I built it as a safety /locating device for daysailing and weekend crusing the Great Lakes It's a 26' boat so much over 4'-6' waves the wife will have me heading for shelter anyway...

Made it out of a 6' fiberglass rod ($3 Hdwr store) and a "Nerf like" foam football for flotation ($2 at dollar store) a chunk of lead for ballast (about a lb/free) and a chunk of vinyl flag for visibilty ($1 dollar store) so for about $6 I have a lightweight MOB pole.

Plan is to store on boat rail and deploy with Life Ring with about a 6' rope tied to pole to keep them together, so MOB can locate ring and Boat can locate MOB...

Seems to float well, a little high actually, so I'm going to add another lb of lead to help stability..."football" was in the water for a good 10 minutes and showed NO signs of water ingress, but I'll be putting a coat of clear sealer over it for added protection...

Football was attached to pole and ends sealed with 4200 adhesive/sealant, and then rubber gromets were slipped on and secured with small section of heat shrink tube...shouldn't slide up the pole...

Again not "IYRU and Transpac YC approved" but adaquate for the conditions it will be exposed to...Looking at the approved versions, they are 10'-14' long..!! (that's where they get the stability) http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...3330&id=320542 But on a 26' boat may be a bit of overkill for storage and deployment...

Thanks for looking...
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: DIY MOB Pole

Post by earlylight »

Squidd,

Nicely done. Have you subjected it to windy conditions to see how upright she floats? I'd be interested to hear how much lead you end up using as well as measurements above and below the float. I built a 12 foot MOB pole many years ago using two old discarded whip antennas which were hollow fiberglass. I sewed an "Oscar" flag using two triangles of spinnaker cloth (red and yellow). Being 12 feet long it was stowed on the backstay.

I look forward to hearing how the extra weight works for you.

Great project!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net