Privateer 26 schooner project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Privateer 26 schooner project

Post by okawbow »

For the past year, I have been turning a Privateer 26 hull into a schooner. I made a plan by combining a line drawing of the hull with a scaled down sailplan from a full size fishing schooner. I started with a basket case sloop, that would have been a really tough rehab. I removed the diesel, most of the interior, and cut the deck off just inside the hull line. The deck was then built in place of wood, using basic wooden boat building procedures. I made the masts and spars from douglas fir, and made the rigging fittings from steel. The fittings were sent to be hot dip galvanised, and the rigging wire was galvanised steel. I had made for a very reasonable price. I built an electric drive to replace the diesel, as I sail on a lake, and only need to get in and out of the marina. Here are several pictures of the schooner and the build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20524843@N03/

I am very happy with the way the boat sails. It really goes on a reach or downwind. Upwind is not as efficient as a sloop, but much more fun! There are lots of strings to pull and 6 different sails to fly. It's never boring.
Attachments
p26schoonerfisherman.jpg
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Privateer 26 schooner project

Post by earlylight »

Wow !!! She is very nice looking little schooner. You should be very proud of the project. If you have any pics taken during the project I'd love for you to post them here. I'm sure lots of other forum members would also appreciate seeing them. I'm sure you will have many a wonderful sailing experience aboard her.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
TampaBay
Boat Type: Coronado 15

Post by TampaBay »

This is a great project. Love this boat.
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

Here is a short video of "Thursdays" Child sailing a few days ago. She really feels like a much larger boat. I think the shorter, solid wood masts have a lot to do with the smooth motion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20524843@N ... hotostream
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Thursday's Child looks great in your video. I just noticed that you sail on Carlyle Lake. I had the pleasure of sailing my Rhodes Bantam in the RB International Regatta with my 10 year old daughter as crew at Carlyle in the late 1970s. Many fond memories!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

I've always liked the Kenner Privateers - and what a perfect hull design to remake into a schooner. She looks fantastic! And an electric conversion to boot... It looks like she sails really nicely from your video too.

In your line drawing for the rig, it looks like you've got one of these butterfly hatches. That would look soooooo cool!
Attachments
IMG_0021.jpg
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

@ Mike,

Is that a Sea Sprite 23 with the butterfly skylight? I think I have seen it on the Sea Sprite forum. And I assume that is Sea Glass in the background?

Cheers
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Yes indeed Dennis, that is the Sea Sprite 23 that I lifted off the SS forum. Good catch! It was such a unique modification that I had to go didging around until I found it again. And sadly, no, that is not Sea Glass in the background. I'm looking at her now in the back yard....
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)