deleted

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Re: The anatomy of a Triton ice-box

Post by Surveyor »

Interesting. It is very nice of you to destroy that for the benefit of the rest of us! Now, I could really use an cross-sectional example of the hull to deck joint of a Triton! (jokes)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Surveyor wrote: Now, I could really use an cross-sectional example of the hull to deck joint of a Triton
Here you go ;)

From Northern Yacht's 1960 Triton Daysailor conversion project.

From what I've seen most East Coast Tritons* and all Ariels, etc. are done similarly. As you can see it's basically a butt-joint between deck and hull (in area of stainless cover strip) with tabbing laid inside to join the two.

Rachel

*The latest Tritons with the wooden toe-rails may be different; I'm not sure. And of course there don't seem to be any two Tritons 100% alike.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Hey Glenn,
Where were the 3 layers of foam (1st photo) positioned? Against the hull? Or to insulate the ice box from the engine?

I don't think blocks of ice melt any faster these days!
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

Much like what I found when I removed my Ariel's ice box.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/ ... ight=truth
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Northstar wrote:When I rebuild I have an Adler Barbour/Waeco CS-NC15 that I will install in a plywood/glass box on the port side, opposite of a deep SS single sink and a Force 10 2 burner swing stove/oven. To the right of the refer (bow/forward end) I am considering installing a swing out trash can/bin with either a pull out drawer or recessed storage through the counter top over. All counter tops will be of the same elevation.
Careful there. The designed waterline is already above the settee tops, the cruising-loaded waterline is frequently higher.
A sink that doesn't drain is a stink.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh goodie! Looks like we may get to watch another head forward/larger-galley aft layout take shape. That's a layout I think I would really like, and so I really enjoy seeing one come to life. Nice touch on "re-drawing" the layout plans. Looks very official :D

I've mentioned this before (so apologies to anyone who is thinking "augh, not for the seventeenth time!"), but when I had a (nice, deep) galley sink that was below the waterline, it was pumped out by a manual bilge pump. The pump was mounted right by the sink and at a convenient level. I can see benefits and drawbacks to either manual or electric, but to the plus side with the manual one, there was no worry about electrical, noise, clogging float switch or "backwash" causing the pump to go on again. Just another option. (I thought it was goofy at first, having been used to a freely draining sink; but then I grew to kind of like it, and the big/deep sink was of course fantastic.)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Northstar wrote:OK...put on your designer hat...what kind of hand pump would you use on the galley sink and what would you do with the drain from the refer??
Do you mean if the sink had a hand-pumped drain? Or do you mean for supply? Well.... here are my thoughts on both.

For water supply, I really do like foot pumps, and really don't like hand pumps. On two boats I've used the same pump, which is the Whale Gusher Galley, like so:

It's not that big in real life ;)

Typically just the foot pedal and part of the "stalk" protrude and the rest is inside a cabinet. I've used these "full time" and been very happy with them. They pump on both the up and the down stroke do can deliver a lot of water (4gpm). I've used hand pumps and not liked them so much, and likewise a "tip-toe" pump... ugh, that was a pain (it's a foot pump that recesses into the sole and then you can pop it up to use it).

There is a situation in which I could perhaps see using a different foot pump, and that is if you have smaller boat, maybe are only aboard part time, and you have a very small water supply tank. I say that because the Galley Gusher does deliver a lot of water, and although you can "feather" it, it's still easy to get a slug of water. In that case I might use something like a Baby Whale. It only delivers on the "push," 2.2 gpm, and would be a pain for regular usage; but might be the ticket for a weekender with a 15- gallon water tank.

I had one of the above pumps in the head, and it was a perfectly pleasant pump to use, for an area where you don't need (or want to use) larger quantities of water. Nice on bare feet too :)

As for grey water pumpage, the boat I was referring to had manual pumps to drain both the head and galley sinks (the builder was one of those "no through hulls!" people and thus the whole 32-foot boat only had three below the waterline (engine intake, head intake, head exhaust). If it were only for that reason, I would just put in a good seacock, have the galley sink self-draining and be done with it; but for the wonder that is a good, deep galley sink, I would go with the alternate pump/drain method.

Okay, so back to the setup: The sinks just drained into hoses that were connected to the cockpit drains (which drained out at the transom above the static waterline). The pump part of it was great, but it did not have any sort of sump, and that was sort of a pain as the sink would fill with water quickly. Since it was already set up, I added a much larger diameter initial drain hose as part of another project, and that almost acted as a sump; if I were setting it up from scratch I would either use a real sump (box), or if it were convenient maybe a longer run of large-diameter hose (would have to think about that).

Behind and beside both the galley and head sinks were small lockers that held the pumps, which were simply Whale Gusher Urchin type pumps, mounted vertically (pump body at 6 o'clock; pump handle end at Noon), and you would pull the handle in an out/down motion to pump them. Let me see if I can find a photo. Okay, here you can see the basic idea: The bilge pump is inside that little locker just to the right of the sink that has the stained-glass door. I'm not sure I'd do a swinging door again, since it can get in the way if you are pumping in a seaway (you only have one hand, the door swings and hits your arm, etc.). Of course there would be ways around that with a different style door, no door, a magnetic latch to hold it open, or whatever.
sink 2.jpg
Unfortunately I don't seem to have any with the door open, to show the pump. Here is one other one though. You can see the small door again where the pump lives. The range would normally be to the right but it was temporarily removed for project maneuvering space.
sink 3.jpg
This was taken during the aforementioned slight re-model where a bit more "drain hose storage volume" was added. The story is that originally there were two tiny, shallow "doll house" sinks side by side in the galley. I could see those would be a barrel of laughs for daily use. So the project was to add a larger, deeper sink (was about 9" x 13" x 9" deep - commonly available marine one). That went in the prime location. Then, in place of a second sink (and instead of just filling it in flat), one of the "dollhouse" sinks was re-installed a slight bit further to the right. You can see where I was adding a new divider piece since the division was shifted right. The second sink was not plumbed up for a supply line, but just a drain (connected to main drain via "dishwasher" fitting). It functioned as a super-secure, really handy dish drainer (and/or secure stowage). I would definitely do that again as it worked really well.

Rachel