Epifanes.

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Epifanes.

Post by Skipper599 »

I settled for Epifanes for a finish on my Boom Gallows. So far, i have four coats applied. I'm trying to follow the manufactureres instructions with regard to "thinning" in the early stages before moving on to the 100% varnish sans thinners.

I'm finding that 100% Varnish is not going on as easily as the thinned stuff. In other words, it does not want to 'flow' . . . Is this normal? Would there be anything against thinning final coats for ease of application?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Epifanes.

Post by Hirilondë »

Which Epifanes? There are several products.

I tried the Rapid Clear. I did not like it. The semi-gloss finish was fine. Supposedly it has a long hot recoat period. This seemed to be true. I found it did not hold up well on my toe rail at all. It is very soft, (even more so than real varnish) and was prone to wear any where that it is handled like grab rails.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

If you're using the Epifanes gloss varnish (the "standard" one), then I find that I often have to thin it slightly (even long past the early coats). It just depends on the weather/atmosphere, I think.

Of course you don't want to thin it too much; that would be detrimental. But I will add a jot of thinner if/when the brush starts to "drag." Not too much! I don't know if you would have to, but I use the Epifanes brand brushing thinner for this.

There is also "Easy Flow," which is (I think) Epifanes's version of Penetrol. I know people who have used it, but I haven't tried it yet. They gave good reviews. I would like to try it.

Rachel
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

I'm using Epifanes Clear High Gloss, thinning with Epifanes Brush Thinner. I have just lightly sanded the fourth coat and will apply another coat this evening so that it has time to dry overnight. My insulated workshop is maintained at 62 degrees F. - - - Don't know the humidity, but I'm guessing around 55 - 60%

I shall thin the next coat approx 4:1 - - - which I don't think is too much. Anyway, I shall find out later how it goes.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Just keep thinning until it flows smoothly (brush doesn't drag). You don't need lots of thinner but a tiny bit is almost always necessary all of the time with Epifanes. I use both the regular gloss and the woodfinish gloss (no sanding version). The latter doesn't need much thinner to keep flowing but the former does. Epifanes always kind of lays thickly compared to other varnishes so it is not popular with some varnishers for that reason.

- Case
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for the feed back folks, it's much appreciated. ... Bob T.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks Glenn, Good advice, I'm learning fast here.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

As was mentioned previously regarding use of Epifanes High-Gloss....even on the 5th and 6th coats, I have added just a "smidge" of thinner to allow for a good flow and brush action. Great product...though next project I will likely try another brand (just to build the experience).

Brian